ETA caliber...

Thread: ETA caliber...

ETA caliber...

I bought this watch a few months ago on the swamp and am finally able to start thinking about it. Has a broken pivot on the staff. Problem is I'm not sure of the caliber number.

Here is the watch...
    Name:  train_side_eta_mvt.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  162.9 KB
    Name:  dial_side_eta_mvt.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  209.3 KB
    Name:  bal_brdg_eta_mvt.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  175.2 KB

Here is what I think it might be related too:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : ETA 1090

So the example at Ranfft is all about the adjustment mechanism on the balance. I don't have this. I also don't have the incabloc shock protection. It is something else on the cap jewels for shock protection.

Anyone have ideas on the ID of the movement and if so, what are the staff specs?

Thanks!
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: ETA caliber...

I think you are right about the movement - there seem to be no other ETA calibres like that. The 1090, 1091, 1190 and 1191 are all related and were serially equipped with free sprung balances (hence the lack of visible fine adjustment) but that doesn't mean to say that some end users didn't install it. Ranfft gives all these calibres as having a balance staff W1254 (Flume catalogue codes) but the shock proofing might make a small difference.....

Hartmut Richter

Hi there,

the example in my archive is simply a kind of luxury version. Usually the Incastar regulator was just am option, but by accident I never actually met one of these with normal regulator, although I've seen them here and there.

As most calibres of this kind, designed to be applied in rectangular and round cases, were designed in the 30s, it is not surprising to see the oldfashioned Shock-Resist device on one of them.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hartmut and Roland,

Thanks for the replies. I am still curious on the correct dimensions for the staff. Borel's parts database lists 3 of them. There is the inca which I can rule out. But there is the SSR and plain staff. Is the SSR = standard shock Resistant? This is the advice then I'm seeking.

Cheers!
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Hi there,

SSR means Super Shock Resist. This is similar to the Incabloc and also needs special arbor ends to support the arbor in the fixed hole of the shock device when the jewels are moved by shocks. The old Shock Resist of your watch does not need these special ends, and therefore my best guess would be the staff for fixed jewels. No guarantee, but in most (maybe all) cases it has even the same length.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thank-you Roland, I appreciate the reply.

Cheers!

Thread Information