Eterna 3000

Thread: Eterna 3000

Eterna 3000

I'm thinking of getting an Eterna-Matic 3000 for my collection, and I have some questions:

- What's the difference between the 3000 and 3003?

- Would there be any difference in movement height between a date only movement and a day date (sevenday) movement? I already looked up Dr Ranfft's database, and it gives the height for the date only movement (1466I) as 3.6mm.

- Any height difference between a case for a date only movement and a day date movement? I found the height for the cases for various Eterna-Matic 3000 to vary between 7mm and 9mm, but not sure if this is due to the style of the case, or the movement inside...

Thanks for your help!
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Eterna 3000

If two watches with the same calibre inside vary in height, it will definitely be due to the case.

As far as I know, it was the Cal. 3000 that formed the basis of today's well known ETA 2892. An excellent movement which can hardly be improved on. As for whether a date only version is thicker than a day-date, it often isn't because the day ring lies inside the date ring on the same plane. As for this particular case, I have to pass.....

Hartmut Richter

Re: Eterna 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    If two watches with the same calibre inside vary in height, it will definitely be due to the case.

As far as I know, it was the Cal. 3000 that formed the basis of today's well known ETA 2892. An excellent movement which can hardly be improved on. As for whether a date only version is thicker than a day-date, it often isn't because the day ring lies inside the date ring on the same plane. As for this particular case, I have to pass.....

Hartmut Richter
    Very interesting! I thought there might be more gears or something in a day date movement that would increase the movement's thickness. I also was not sure if a date movement and day date movement share the same case, hence the questions about the case thickness...

I've been doing more research, and I found this Romanian forum thread:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...Da&sl=ro&tl=en

My interest in the movement and case thickness is because I want an Eterna for my collection, and chose the Eterna-Matic 3000 because it has a ball bearing rotor and had the thinnest movement when it came out in 1963. The 1466U movement is also a predecessor to the ETA 2892, so that adds to my interest. I was thinking it would be a pity if I buy and Eterna-Matic 3000 that has a case that doesn't show off the thinness of the movement...

Eterna seem to have increased the frequency of the movement from 18000bph to 21600bph to 28800bhp. Finally they decreased the size of the rotor to reduce the diameter of the movement (while maintaining the thickness) to arrive at today's ETA 2892. The link above has side by side photos of an Eterna 1466U and an ETA 2892!
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Thread Information