Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

Thread: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Hello Everyone,
    I am quite a newbie at this forum. I was hoping that you could share with me some of your knowledge of watches. I have a piece that I cannot find anything on. It seems unique so far...cannot find another. I have Searched for hours upon hours for something even remotely close and have had no luck. The item is a very large sunburst style brooch with the spokes of the burst being 14K white gold and then there are 18K yellow gold twists around these. Scattered throughout the design are diamonds (unsure if CZ or the real deal) In the very middle is a watch that is marked ETERNA then at the bottom of the face Birks and under that SWISS. There is also a mark on the back of the brooch that reads Birks 18K. The back of the watch is marked with what looks to be a square with an L inside followed by 14K. When you remove the back of the watch, it shows ETERNA and a number 5217149.
    I am aware of the Company Birks, but beyond that, I have found nothing. I can upload pictures if this will help

  2. #2
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,132

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Quote Originally Posted by angle1086 View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I am quite a newbie at this forum. I was hoping that you could share with me some of your knowledge of watches. I have a piece that I cannot find anything on. It seems unique so far...cannot find another. I have Searched for hours upon hours for something even remotely close and have had no luck. The item is a very large sunburst style brooch with the spokes of the burst being 14K white gold and then there are 18K yellow gold twists around these. Scattered throughout the design are diamonds (unsure if CZ or the real deal) In the very middle is a watch that is marked ETERNA then at the bottom of the face Birks and under that SWISS. There is also a mark on the back of the brooch that reads Birks 18K. The back of the watch is marked with what looks to be a square with an L inside followed by 14K. When you remove the back of the watch, it shows ETERNA and a number 5217149.
    I am aware of the Company Birks, but beyond that, I have found nothing. I can upload pictures if this will help
    I would guess Birks had this bit of jewelry made for resale. Eterna is a well known maker of decent watches. From your description this is probably too old to be CZ and is probably real diamonds... the extensive use of solid gold is another indicator.

    Pics would be necessary to say much more. If you can get pics of the insides of the watch we may be able to date it.

    I for one would love to see a pic just for viewing pleasure
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  3. #3
    Member mrsnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    8,409

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    The Eterna was branded by Birks (like Tiffany did with Rolex and others).

    I own an Eternamatic Birks Challenger from 1951.

    "My grail showed up today"

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,012

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Quote Originally Posted by angle1086 View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I am quite a newbie at this forum. I was hoping that you could share with me some of your knowledge of watches. I have a piece that I cannot find anything on. It seems unique so far...cannot find another. I have Searched for hours upon hours for something even remotely close and have had no luck. The item is a very large sunburst style brooch with the spokes of the burst being 14K white gold and then there are 18K yellow gold twists around these. Scattered throughout the design are diamonds (unsure if CZ or the real deal) In the very middle is a watch that is marked ETERNA then at the bottom of the face Birks and under that SWISS. There is also a mark on the back of the brooch that reads Birks 18K. The back of the watch is marked with what looks to be a square with an L inside followed by 14K. When you remove the back of the watch, it shows ETERNA and a number 5217149.
    I am aware of the Company Birks, but beyond that, I have found nothing. I can upload pictures if this will help
    You've done a pretty good job of identifying it so far. Without pictures a date will only be a guess, but the sunburst and starburst styles were popular in the 1950's and 1960's. Birks is a well-known reputable Canadian jeweler with a history going back to the 1800's. Birks did what many other large jewelers have done and that is have house brand watches produced for them by a recognized and reputable watch company such as Eterna. I suspect that collectors of vintage jewelery will find it interesting.

  6. #5
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,012

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Hellooooo.....are you there? Post some pics of your brooch watch.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Hellooooo.....are you there? Post some pics of your brooch watch.

    Hi there,

    Thanks for the info. My PC crashed and I am in the process of doing a clean install.

    I will indeed post pictures just as soon as I can from my own computer. I have had to use someone elses to log in. It is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen. In the end, it will be sold, even if it is just for the gold as I have some things to take care of...but I would like everyone to be able to appreciate it's beauty. So far it seems to be one of a kind and I know it would have been nice to hand down to one of the kids.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Hello again,
    I have finally been able to restore the PC. And finally some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!Name:  family pics 736.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  63.8 KBName:  family pics 711.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  98.4 KBName:  family pics 715.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  62.5 KBName:  family pics 716.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  family pics 827.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  28.5 KBName:  family pics 822.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  28.9 KBName:  family pics 828.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  26.4 KBName:  family pics 835.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  22.8 KB

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Quote Originally Posted by angle1086 View Post
    Hello again,
    I have finally been able to restore the PC. And finally some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!Name:  family pics 736.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  63.8 KBName:  family pics 711.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  98.4 KBName:  family pics 715.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  62.5 KBName:  family pics 716.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  family pics 827.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  28.5 KBName:  family pics 822.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  28.9 KBName:  family pics 828.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  26.4 KBName:  family pics 835.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  22.8 KB
    I can send more pictures if interested...just send me a message [email protected]

  10. #9
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,132

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    The dial is a 50's style... Tissot and GP both used similar crystals during that time. I bet this impresses when worn!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  11. #10
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,012

    Re: Eterna Birks Solid Gold Watch Brooch Please help identify

    Quote Originally Posted by angle1086 View Post
    Hello again,
    I have finally been able to restore the PC. And finally some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!Name:  family pics 736.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  63.8 KBName:  family pics 711.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  98.4 KBName:  family pics 715.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  62.5 KBName:  family pics 716.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  family pics 827.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  28.5 KBName:  family pics 822.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  28.9 KBName:  family pics 828.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  26.4 KBName:  family pics 835.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  22.8 KB
    Wow...I love the sunburst style. Yes that was popular in the 1950's and 1960's. Not only in jewelery, but in furnishings, lighting, clocks, etc.
    You have quite an attractive and collectible watch, so enjoy it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •