Eterna KonTiki / 20 (130xx) Crowns, Buckles and Catalog References

Thread: Eterna KonTiki / 20 (130xx) Crowns, Buckles and Catalog References

Eterna KonTiki / 20 (130xx) Crowns, Buckles and Catalog References

Hi -

I have an Eterna KonTiki (130TT) that has a 1424UD movement (the movement does not have a serial numbers, the markers are of the "stone" type (i.e., not "pennant" and not "baton"), and so I am guessing sometimes in the mid-1960s and before the KonTiki 20 came out in 1968). It's out for service, otherwise I'd post a picture of it. The markers are all "horizontal" grooved bars ("horizontal" meaning running in the same direction as the dial printing) with one longer marker at 9 and double horizontal markers at 12 and 6.

It came with a relatively low profile (almost blends into the contour of the case), gently domed, plain crown, around 6.5mm in diameter. Does anyone have a watch of similar vintage? If so, can you tell me if you've seen a signed crown? I know that on the original version (1950s), the crown had a little "helmet" shape, but almost every example after that I have seen has had a plain one similar to mine. I don't know if

- Eterna just cheaped out (they have been out of business a few times);
    - whether there was one common replacement sold (I have seen quite a few similar - but taller and screwdown - on KonTiki 20s); or
    - whether someone polished the balls off this one.

At any rate, Eterna's only current replacement crown is a tube and crown set (same as on the last 2824-2 version) that runs $110 for the parts and $85 for installation (at least in the U.S.... ouch!) - and it's bigger, uglier, less convenient, and easier to damage. Anybody have experience in replacing the non-screw crowns? I'm trying to keep this accurate. Well, to a point.

Second, does anyone have good scans of the plain Kontiki pages from the 1960s catalogs? I'm curious as to whether this watch was originally blue or black - the calendar is black, which given my study of dial styles, meant it could be either.

Finally (and sorry to ask so many focused questions at once), what did an Eterna buckle from the mid-1960s look like? Was it (a) a tang with a little tab with five balls on it; (b) a tang with a rectangular spot impressed and in it the 5 balls; or (c) a totally rectangular shape with a big sandblasted rectangle with the give balls?

Thanks!

D

Re: Eterna KonTiki / 20 (130xx) Crowns, Buckles and Catalog References

And this is not my watch in the link below, but when I say plain and "gently domed," I mean like the one on this Kontiki 20. The crown on mine doesn't stick out as far, but this is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if the factory was cranking them out with plaint crowns at some point.

Eterna "KonTiki 20" certified chronometer wristwatch

A
    nd this is the "helmet" style of waterproof crown I have seen on earlier ones:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q="kontiki+20"&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls =en&biw=1340&bih=960&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=uzW 3zzlRnRWpvM:&imgrefurl=http://www.finertimes.com/asp/watches/query.asp%3FTitle%3Dvint...nd%2B(typecode%3D1)%26P age%3D343&docid=BgP2xZtvva3XBM&w=640&h=480&ei=w16O TqWCHsmKsQKr8L2tAQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=380&page=6&t bnh=123&tbnw=164&start=167&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:0, s:167&tx=86&ty=29

Hi and welcome.

Sorry I can't help you - let's hope someone has the detailed knowledge you're looking for.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear "D", We do have the genuine crown available for you. It is new old stock with the 5 balls on the end of the crown.

Please let me know if you want. gerrywilson69

Gerry -

Interested - I sent you a PM. I'll call you tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Dante

Quote Originally Posted by gerrywilson69 View Post
    Dear "D", We do have the genuine crown available for you. It is new old stock with the 5 balls on the end of the crown.

Please let me know if you want. gerrywilson69

Thread Information