Eterna-Matic 21 Jewel Chronometer - has anyone seen something similar before?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Eterna-Matic 21 Jewel Chronometer - has anyone seen something similar before?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eterna-Matic 21 Jewel Chronometer - has anyone seen something similar before?

Hi,

i am new to this forum so please bear with me. my Partner bought me an Eterna-Matic Chronometer and I was wondering if anyone had any information on this watch? I have been in contact with Eterna/Porsche who have requested info on serial numbers but there are no eternal engravings on the case so I am going to get it opened up and see what is inside. In the meanwhile I have attached some photos. It is a very simple watch and I love the clean lines and would be particularly interested if anyone could advise on possible dates. I have looked extensively on the internet for this watch and have seen something similar style wise (but a different colour and not referring to the Jewels or Chronometer standard). I have also approached an Eterna vintage watch reseller here in the UK and they say they have seen nothing like it.

best wishes and any help or info would be appreciated
    Name:  IMG_1849.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1850.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  38.2 KB

Simon
    parrotandpitbull, Grill G and fjf like this.

Re: Eterna-Matic 21 Jewel Chronometer - has anyone seen something similar before?

Looks very typical 1950s Eterna. Birks used to retail a lot of this style under their name, so worth googling that.

I have seen this logo on the back before, but I can't find the page, there were a series of different back medallions they used, the most famous being the kontiki of course, but they also used one from panama as well as some others such as yours.

Re: Eterna-Matic 21 Jewel Chronometer - has anyone seen something similar before?

Very very nice Eterna... Quite jealous!

My Eterna reference book has a almost matching watch.

Dated 1950 with 1422u cal movement.

The medallion is a coat of arms for the Schild family - founders of the company!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful watch! I have a pre ball bearing ETA 1256 etarotor movement in a vintage Crosby I have
    Stratocasters Rock!

Hi all,

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Just a couple more questions :)

Would the crest/medallion on the back be in celebration of something in a similar way to the Kontiki being to celebrate Thor Heyerdahl (sic) and Eterna's support for his expedition? And Sparcster how similar is the example in your catalogue? I ask because I have only found one similar example on the Internet and that was blue/black and I don't think it specified chronometer etc

apart from the small stain on the face of the watch there are no marks at all and it seems to work perfectly. To be honest I am only gaining an interest in watches since having been given this one as a present. When I first saw it I had never heard of Eterna and was a bit worried it might be an East German/soviet copy in the same way as they copied cameras etc in the 1940s and 1950s. It is quite petite which I like. It is about 39mm in diameter

Thanks for all your help

I'm glad you're getting some informed info about your watch. Eterna is a terrific brand to collect - quality, style, innovation - all for a reasonable price nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylands View Post
    It is quite petite which I like. It is about 39mm in diameter
    Actually, 39mm is pretty big in the vintage world. A lot of men's watches from that era are around 30mm - and many are smaller than that.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylands View Post

And Sparcster how similar is the example in your catalogue? I ask because I have only found one similar example on the Internet and that was blue/black and I don't think it specified chronometer etc
    Hi,

At work at the mo (crazy busy) but will try and take a pic when I get home.

From memory, the dial colour was a blueish grey, font was a match - excluding 21 jewels. Case design and shape was a match. I see no reason for this to be a copy!

I will also have a look through my book to get the history behind the medallion!

Found similar here:

Eterna watches for sale - Eterna Watches

Private Collection - Eterna Watches
    Last edited by Sparcster; May 29th, 2012 at 10:26.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi Marrick,

You are right. It is not 39mm. It is approx 34mm acros the back of the case including the crown. Btw can anyone advise of a good Book on vintage watches that would be of use in the UK?

Eterna is wonderful indeed. Is this pre ball bearing too? Any relationship with ETA?
    Stratocasters Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    Eterna is wonderful indeed. Is this pre ball bearing too? Any relationship with ETA?
    Roland explains it well here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/what...an-195366.html

In 1932 Swiss laws forced the separation of movement-
    and watch manufacturing, i.e. manufacturers were not allowed to
    simultaneously sell ebauches or finished movements, and apply them
    in their own watches.

So the ebauche devision of Eterna was separated, but only financially.
    Eterna and ETA continued to share the same factory building, and even
    both moved into a new building in 1941. In 1944 both were still listed as
    one company: ETA-Eterna.

Last not least, nothing more than a law was satisfied, while the narrow
    cooperation never stopped. And in fact the most popular ETA movements
    of today are genuine Eterna designs: The Eterna 1541 existed some
    5 years before it was launched as ETA 2824, and the Eterna 1504 two
    years before it was renamed to ETA 2892.

Almost always new designs were first restricted to Eterna watches, before
    they became avalable for competitors.
    Popoki Nui likes this.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information