Eterna Matic Movement ID

Thread: Eterna Matic Movement ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eterna Matic Movement ID

Ok, so I have this eterna that I bought in the "thirft shop buys" thread I had. I was wanting to figure out what movement I have in it. I dated the watch as a 1956 with the eterna serial number. It has an Automactic movement. The only numbers I could see under the balance was 140, but I'm only finding 1401 and 1402, some with a "U" etc....... Is 140 a movement or is there another number hiding. I really magnified it up and didn't see any other numbers. Thanks for any help.

Name:  1205151317-1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  431.3 KB
    Name:  1205151345-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  664.8 KB
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Re: Eterna Matic Movement ID

See your own thread on this. 1428U, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Ok, so I have this eterna that I bought in the "thirft shop buys" thread I had. I was wanting to figure out what movement I have in it. I dated the watch as a 1956 with the eterna serial number. It has an Automactic movement. The only numbers I could see under the balance was 140, but I'm only finding 1401 and 1402, some with a "U" etc....... Is 140 a movement or is there another number hiding. I really magnified it up and didn't see any other numbers. Thanks for any help.

Name:  1205151317-1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  431.3 KB
    Name:  1205151345-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  664.8 KB

Well I know I definately seen a 140. I just didn't see anything else after that. The reason I think I'm missing something is looking at ranfft.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Eterna 1401U

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1401 = 7.25'''

Well I know I definately seen a 140. I just didn't see anything else after that. The reason I think I'm missing something is looking at ranfft.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Eterna 1401U

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    1401 = 7.25'''
    What does the 7.25" refer to?

Size of the movement in lignes.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Did you actually look at the Ranfft page you copied? The size is different in the page you copied to your own. As mkws said those 3 ''' marks = lignes, a traditional measurement system in watches. 7.5''' is about 16.2mm as Ranfft clearly notes on the page you linked to. A ladies watch. Yours is clearly a mans watch. It's frustrating that you expect others to do your work - to be blunt, you could have troubled yourself to Google what 7.5''' means, it's not that hard. Step up, brother. People, myself included, are very willing to help here, but I personally find your behaviour on this thread a bit discourteous.

I think you'll find that your movement is from the family I mentioned, 1428 or one of the ones in that line (it was a long running and popular movement family with loads of minor variations). If you see "140_", then I have no idea what it is. But it's not 1401.

What does the 7.25" refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Did you actually look at the Ranfft page you copied? The size is different in the page you copied to your own. As mkws said those 3 ''' marks = lignes, a traditional measurement system in watches. 7.5''' is about 16.2mm as Ranfft clearly notes on the page you linked to. A ladies watch. Yours is clearly a mans watch. It's frustrating that you expect others to do your work - to be blunt, you could have troubled yourself to Google what 7.5''' means, it's not that hard. Step up, brother. People, myself included, are very willing to help here, but I personally find your behaviour on this thread a bit discourteous.

I think you'll find that your movement is from the family I mentioned, 1428 or one of the ones in that line (it was a long running and popular movement family with loads of minor variations). If you see "140_", then I have no idea what it is. But it's not 1401.
    Well I appreciate your info. I didn't mean to bother you and you can always stay away from my threads if I seem discourteous to you. I'm in america, and I really didn't snap to those numbers being lignes when we deal with inches here. And I also thought the "' was a typo for ". Take care!!!

Well I appreciate your info. I didn't mean to bother you and you can always stay away from my threads if I seem discourteous to you. I'm in america, and I really didn't snap to those numbers being lignes when we deal with inches here. And I also thought the "' was a typo for ". Take care!!!
    Well, due to the differences in measurement systems used in horology, misunderstandings can happen. That it appears like you didn't exactly do a lot of research yourself, can be a bit frustrating, but since I am one of these people very willing to help, I will provide some help then.
    Just to avoid future misunderstandings, here's a conversion chart that you might find useful:
    Ranfft Watches, Movement Sizes
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I can see you're in the US. As mkws writes, there are a bunch of confusing measurement systems floating around the watch world. I'm as happy to help as the rest, but I confess that I was really disappointed that you linked to a page with an answer on it, but hadn't read your own page link. So I got grumpy with you. I apologise.

Don't be taking offence to my righteous grumble, I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

The Ranfft site is a great information resource. For another great resource with loads of straightforward info on watches, I recommend Denis Carignan's site, which covers stuff like measurement systems and all that.

Nice watch, by the way, and a truly excellent catch on all them.

Last edited by Habitant; December 7th, 2015 at 17:36.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information