Eterna Matic and Tudor Prince - fakes?

Thread: Eterna Matic and Tudor Prince - fakes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eterna Matic and Tudor Prince - fakes?

Hi guys,

I hope you are able to help me out here.
    Looking to find a nice Eterna Matic Kontiki and/or Tudor Prince Oyster (preferably without Date), but finding it hard to navigate on evil-bay. I am from Denmark and unfortunately there is no real good local deals (at the moment) from resputable dealers so I am left a bit in the dark.

Could you therefore help me identify if the following watches are real or fakes? I have put my thoughts/doubts in brackets behind the name.
    Your input is highly valuable..

Eterna Matic Kontiki 20 (I havent seen this case design on other Kontiki 20s?):
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Eterna Matic Kontiki 20:
    ETERNAMATIC KONTIKI 20 Vintage Diver ETERNA-MATIC - NR! - eBay (item 270642887599 end time Oct-10-10 09:40:59 PDT)

Tudor Prince Oysterdate (the date magnifier should be 2.5x as far as I remember, this one looks a bit weaker. The 6 hour mark is slightly unaligned it seems):

Tudor Prince Oyster (The case back is not featuring the normal "Rolex" text? And the crown is looking a bit weird?):
    1940s ROLEX TUDOR OYSTER PRINCE 34 ROTOR SELF WINDING. - eBay (item 280569772085 end time Oct-12-10 08:34:02 PDT)

If you are able to recommend a good ebay or other online seller (preferably within EU) I would be grateful.

Thanks for all your help!

OT - a short introduction:
    I am a long time lurker on the forums, who finally registered for a user. Thanks for all the advise I have already received as a reader, I am looking forward to be a more active part of this lovely community.

I am a happy owner of an IWC Mark XVI and a Seamaster Pro Aqua Terra.
    Currently looking for some older watches, such as old models of Tudor, Eterna Matic, Rolex and Omega.

Re: Eterna Matic and Tudor Prince - fakes?

Hi and welcome.

I'm not a technical expert, but they both look right to me. The Eterna does seem to have suffered some corrosion to the movement though. Await other opinions!

Cheers.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Stay away from both of the Tudor watches. The first one you can see plenty of rust on the movement. This is the damage you can see, there is probably more that you can't see. The second Tudor probably has movement damage also. I would say the same with the Eterna where we can see the movement. The first I can't say as there are no pictures of the movement. Try to get the seller to take a picture of the movement. He says he serviced it himself so he should be able to open the back and take a picture of the movement. Personally, I would keep looking for better examples of these watches.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The second Tudor looks like the threads are stripped on the case tube, but appears genuine. Couldn't get the pics to load on the first Tudor.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you elaborate on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    The second Tudor probably has movement damage also.
    What makes you believe this?

And what about this Tudor Oyster Prince:
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Thanks for all the input guys..

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banko View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Can you elaborate on this:

What makes you believe this?

And what about this Tudor Oyster Prince:
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The stripped threads on the tube. If the watch was worn like this, there is a chance that moisture has gotten inside of the watch.

That Tudor looks beautiful to my glance. I can't see anything wrong with the watch. I wouldn't pay more than $600 for the watch and that is stretching it for myself.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Eterna Matic Kontiki 20 (I havent seen this case design on other Kontiki 20s?):
    Vastly overpriced considering the watch and condition. Case appears to have been heavily buffed.

Seriously damaged. Unless you are looking for a watch to learn about movement disassembly and the damage that water can cause on I would avoid at any price.

Tudor Prince Oysterdate (the date magnifier should be 2.5x as far as I remember, this one looks a bit weaker. The 6 hour mark is slightly unaligned it seems):
    Very nice looking watch. Because it's a fairly common dress design with an ETA movement I would not go much more than the current asking price.

Tudor Prince Oyster (The case back is not featuring the normal "Rolex" text? And the crown is looking a bit weird?):
    1940s ROLEX TUDOR OYSTER PRINCE 34 ROTOR SELF WINDING. - eBay (item 280569772085 end time Oct-12-10 08:34:02 PDT)
    Appears to not have suffered damage from the non-functioning screw crown. The crown and tube don't seem to match but you should check out other Rolex and Tudor watches from that time. If you like the style and size, can get it for cheap are are willing to put money into repairs and a crown replacement it could be an enjoyable and interesting watch.

Going for the last Tudor I posted.. but I could imagine it will end with a high price, but at least I got good input on what to look for which will help me in my search.

Bringing in a late contender, what is your guys view on this Rolex Justdate:
    ROLEX Mens DATE JUST Ref.1601 Cal.1570 BLACK Dial on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 19:55:12 BST)

Quote Originally Posted by Banko View Post
    Bringing in a late contender, what is your guys view on this Rolex Justdate:
    ROLEX Mens DATE JUST Ref.1601 Cal.1570 BLACK Dial on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 19:55:12 BST)
    The style is so common it's boring. If you like the style look for something from Mido or Sandoz at a fraction of the price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast