Eterna and Thoral watches

Thread: Eterna and Thoral watches

Eterna and Thoral watches

Evening guys,

I was given this by my grandad over the weekend. An old cigarette tin with some watches in it. The only two of note are the ones pictured. I know a little about the Eterna but have never heard of Thoral. That one was my great grandads so am led to believe a good 70 years old if not more. Both are still working (But in need of a service).

I’d love it if someone is able to shed any light on either watch. I’m going to have the cleaned up so I can wear them myself. Thanks in advance!

Name:  51984D34-6754-42B9-BAFD-7791897B1F7E.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  3.76 MBName:  3D3EA694-C005-4E44-A71F-AE923428473D.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  1.74 MB

Re: Eterna and Thoral watches

Both watches appear to be from the 1950s - the Eterna could well be early 1960s, but 1950s is my bet. Without pictures of the movements and both sides of the case back of both watches, there's little more to say.

The Eterna should have a serial on the movement and on the case back - the serials are documented, so the exact year can be pinpointed. You can also contact Eterna's after sales department- give them the serials, and they'll provide you with the year of the manufacture, as well as the reference number (should the watch be earlier than when Eterna started stamping these on the inner side of the back).
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Both watches appear to be from the 1950s - the Eterna could well be early 1960s, but 1950s is my bet. Without pictures of the movements and both sides of the case back of both watches, there's little more to say.

The Eterna should have a serial on the movement and on the case back - the serials are documented, so the exact year can be pinpointed. You can also contact Eterna's after sales department- give them the serials, and they'll provide you with the year of the manufacture, as well as the reference number (should the watch be earlier than when Eterna started stamping these on the inner side of the back).
    Thanks for your informative reply. The Eterna has 4620817 stamped on the case back. I haven’t opened them up and will probably refrain from doing so not being a watchmaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chelseacjd View Post
    Thanks for your informative reply. The Eterna has 4620817 stamped on the case back. I haven’t opened them up and will probably refrain from doing so not being a watchmaker.
    Well, the case serial is for 1962. As for opening them up, just take them to a watchmaker. You'll need to do so anyway, as you'll need to get them serviced before wearing them - a watch needs servicing every few (5 to 7) years.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information