Eterna time piece

Thread: Eterna time piece

Eterna time piece

If anyone can tell me anything at all about this time piece I would greatly appreciate it. It has the serial # 2316343 on the bottom below Eterna Watch Co & Swiss. Argent, the # 0985 and a design shaped like a jellybean w/ something inside it stamped on the inside of the back cover, and the #6343 stamped below the clock works. It is approx. 2" H X 1" W X 1" D.

Re: Eterna time piece

Quote Originally Posted by csgabbygayle View Post
    If anyone can tell me anything at all about this time piece I would greatly appreciate it. It has the serial # 2316343 on the bottom below Eterna Watch Co & Swiss. Argent, the # 0985 and a design shaped like a jellybean w/ something inside it stamped on the inside of the back cover, and the #6343 stamped below the clock works. It is approx. 2" H X 1" W X 1" D.
    It is a watch made in Switzerland by Eterna in a silver case... we'll need pictures to say much more. Is the watch really 1 inch thick?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It is a miniature clock not a watch. This is why I have been having so much trouble finding anything on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are photos on my members page.

Interesting. You are only the second person I know of to actually use the members page album feature!

I know little about clocks. But this one is small enough one could almost call it a watch. From the 'watchness' of it (oh, if we were only using German!) it looks like a middle to late nineteenth century movement.

I hope others will know more!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It looks very "watchy" to me as well. Almost like a keywind watch movement. I was going to guess around 1920, but like Eeeb I don't know that much about clocks. Sorry.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It looks like a travelling clock to me - small enough to be stashed away, yet capable of being stood up on the sidepiece next to the bed, etc. The fact that the whole thing is square shows that the movement was either made specifically for that sort of timepiece or adapted from a twenties watch. I would also agree that the mechanism looks too advanced for a late 19th century timepiece.

Hartmut Richter

The Schild Freres & Cie was renamed to Eterna in 1906, thus the clock is later.
    The case number doesn't allow very precise dating. Due to the variety of
    models, cases were produced on stopck for later use, while movements were
    produced vitually continously. So the case number is almost always a little
    lower than the movement number.

Anyway, this is a special movement in a special case, and one can suspect
    that both were made in about the same year. This assumtion would date the
    clock to about 1821.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

[Moderator note - Following the flow, I believe the date is a typo and I think Dr. Ranfft meant 1921 /eeeb]
    Last edited by Eeeb; September 30th, 2008 at 07:30. Reason: corrected probable typo

Thread Information