The eternal struggle of the Le Cheminant dive watch.
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The eternal struggle of the Le Cheminant dive watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    28A

The eternal struggle of the Le Cheminant dive watch.

So I decided recently that I might throw my Le Cheminant diver on eBay and sell it to fund a Seiko 6139 (the gold "pogue" of course!) that I'd quite like to get my hands on.. And picked it up from my watchmaker on Friday to have a think about it.

After ripping off the horrible leather strap and polishing the case and crystal and seeing how the lume has changed from the green it was when I got it originally to the cream it is now.. Perhaps from being in complete darkness for four odd months.. And fitting a leather strap I bought for it when I first got it I'm kind of reconsidering my options.

The pros:
    Its actually vintage..
    It resembles a 5513 Submariner.
    It's an ETA auto.
    The cream lume is really nice.
    The dial overall is really nice.
    The size isn't bad at 41mm including the crown.
    The blue faded bezel gives it the same look as everyone with a vintage 5513 wishes they had.

The cons..
    The movement is in a horrendous state.
    The crown has separated and needs a new crown and case tube.
    The movement is so bad the seconds hand doesn't even move.
    The rotor is floppy.

My watchmaker was going to service it at a cost of $300. That includes full movement service, case ultrasonic cleaning, new crown and tube, resealed and pressure tested.

After buying it for $330au and then spending $300 to service it i don't think I'd ever get that amount back if I ever sold it post service. While it's an awesome watch.. It's not necessarily desirable, iconic or at all known about. So I'm not sure whether to cut my losses now and sell it for something else I'd like that would be more collectable and valuable in the long run.

The other option is to find a running movement but as we all know, they still need to be serviced regardless..

Give me your thoughts my fellow vintage friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Re: The eternal struggle of the Le Cheminant dive watch.

You could probably buy a new movement and have the signed rotor swapped for half that.
    busmatt likes this.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

28A

I don't believe the rotor is signed at all, however i did have the same thought and scoured the Ranfft website the other night looking for ETA movements with the same size, height, hand sizes but there was an "F" and a "T" value that i couldn't work out.. they were slightly different. The hand sizes seemed to be the same and the movement heights were mostly, if not, the same.

I thought about buying a working / NOS movement off ebay and at around $100 AU it's 1/3rd the cost of the service but then it's still 40 years old and will need doing.. plus the crown now being three separate pieces there's a little extra needing to be done than a simple movement service.

I wish i could do services myself.. but that's sort of besides the point.

My question is.. do you guys think it's worth spending more on it.. or sell up where i'll be breaking even on it to get something else? What would you guys do? Have any of you done this before?
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a brevet 503305 case so it's going to be worth something.
    I think you should be able to scour the internet and find a complete ETA2789. If it runs don't service it and wear it for a couple years and service it after?

Paying 300 AU might be a bit much
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

28A

It doesn't have any Brevet stampings inside it, as that was the first thing i looked for. Still, it resembles one so i'm sure it likely is one..

I also did consider finding a running movement and throwing that into it and leaving it for a few years as you say and disregard servicing it straight away.

Unfortunately that's the cost around here.. although to be honest i haven't asked any other watchmakers what they charge. I've got a good relationship with my watchmaker and i kinda feel like it wouldn't be right to do business behind his back with someone else.. even if it does save me money. I'd sooner rather buy another movement and some tools and have him install the movement while i buy a 20 buck ultrasonic cleaner and give it a go myself on the original movement. I mean hey, what would i have to lose? Not too much really..
    Nick.

28A

What's your thoughts on the keep and spend more on it possibly above it's worth vs sell it and break even and buy something else?

I've always been one of those people who've been able to break even or profit on everything i own.. the idea of spending what i paid for it again to get it usable makes me feel like i'd have to keep it forever otherwise i'd end up losing money if i ever sold it. In saying that, i bet if it was serviced and working it may very well be worth double? Things to think about..
    Nick.

You would not suffer this decision making if You would really like it? :) just sell and move on I would say
    28A likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

28A

That's a good point. I do quite like it however at the same time there's other things I want. I guess I'll just let it run on eBay and if it sells it sells. I don't think I'd regret selling it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick.

You have a tough choice. There is value in sentiment and nuance that you could be missing. There are a lot of people who are interested in the Submariner look at realistic prices. Take a look at the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage. These watches trade all day for the total sum that you would be investing in yours. The Ocean One Vintage is a beautiful piece that easily stands on its own and addresses a niche in the market. That said, It doesn't carry the authentic, hard earned patina that your watch has in great abundance. I think that if your watch was repaired and ultimately presented as a vintage alternative to members of the tribute community, it would be well received.

As it stands now, in its current inoperable condition, you would likely be selling at a loss.

My vote... Seek out the opinions of people who discuss tribute watches. Multiple threads can easily be found. If you like what you hear... Fix it, wear it, enjoy it. Consider your enjoyment to be the interest on your investment. If your enjoyment wains, market it correctly and sell it to the right buyer.
    Last edited by cd1963; August 15th, 2015 at 17:09.

Great advise from Cd ,Nick honestly your watch has a lot going for it,more so than a few teething problems your having at the moment.Hang on to it is my advise,put it somewhere dry until you decide what to do with,it will be no worse for wear.

I also think you could halve that 100$ figure for getting another movement off the bay,this one looks ok and is running.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-V...item2a55f69792
    Last edited by Apollonaught; August 15th, 2015 at 18:33. Reason: late entry
    cd1963, busmatt and 28A like this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information