Eternamatic pocket watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Eternamatic pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eternamatic pocket watch

Hello! My first post. I love all types of watches and am starting to collect them. This one belonged to my grandfather.Still keeps good time(although low 12 hour reserve) would really love to know more info about it like circa 50s? Etc.. Have checked for days (Web) at all Eternamatic, Eterna-Matic,Eterna and have found nothing quite like my piece. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Re: Eternamatic pocket watch

If it's got a running time of 12 hours I think it needs a trip to the watchmaker first...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    If it's got a running time of 12 hours I think it needs a trip to the watchmaker first...
    I meant 18 hours ..sorry. But still agree the old watch needs to be taken to a watchmaker and examined,oiled etc. etc..Thanks for reply. This is picture of backside.
    Last edited by Juan Luis; November 5th, 2008 at 05:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

How remarkable! I thought modern auto-winding pocket watches were a recent invention of the Chinese/Hong Kong watch industry.

How effective is the auto-winding on this watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    How remarkable! I thought modern auto-winding pocket watches were a recent invention of the Chinese/Hong Kong watch industry.

How effective is the auto-winding on this watch?
    Not bad. It has never been serviced. I have been taking it and moving it around these last 4/5 days and it keeps on ticking.Only when left alone (no movement) is when after 18 or so hours it actually stops. I hope someone can find or have some info on this particular (I would guess 1950s model). Best,JL

I have never seen a piece like this either. But the display caseback makes me think it was born sometime after the 1970s. Knowing the exact movement in the watch would help date it... but Eterna-Matics are still being made as watches, I believe.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I have never seen a piece like this either. But the display caseback makes me think it was born sometime after the 1970s. Knowing the exact movement in the watch would help date it... but Eterna-Matics are still being made as watches, I believe.
    Positive not from the 70s. I grew up with my grandad through the late 60s- 70s (I saw him myself looking at the time etc) and he also told me about purchasing it over 20 years before. He died in 1977. The caliber of the pocket watch is # 1263 and other number is 3756273.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
    Positive not from the 70s. I grew up with my grandad through the late 60s- 70s (I saw him myself looking at the time etc) and he also told me about purchasing it over 20 years before. He died in 1977. The caliber of the pocket watch is # 1263 and other number is 3756273.
    Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the oldest displayback I have ever seen!
    Last edited by Eeeb; November 6th, 2008 at 01:08.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the first displayback I have ever seen!
    Thanks for checking! The main reason I remember watch as a little kid was how in AWE I was about transparent backing...and being able to see movements etc. Thank you again. PS. Btw..the watch saw light of day for the first time in 30 or so years cause it was put in a safe after my grandfather's passing in 1977. I had it lubricated,softly cleaned today by a local expert watchsmith or watchmaker. Looking great and working great. Will post better pictures in the near future.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Digging through Dr. Ranfft's site I see a very similar movement, the 1247. This would place it in the late 1940s or early 1950s... If so and if this is the original caseback, it is the oldest displayback I have ever seen!
    There was one particular Swiss brand (can't remember who, dammit ) who made display backs a bit of a selling point for their watches back in the 1950s. Maybe Eterna thought this would be a good way of promoting their Eternamatic, especially if the patent was still in force. By putting it in a pocket-watch, the mechanical marvel within would be easy for the owner to show to his friends without needing to take it off his wrist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information