Evaluation Patek Philippe & CO pocket watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilkeN

Thread: Evaluation Patek Philippe & CO pocket watch

Hello Guys.

First of all, I want to say Hello to everybody in this forum. I`m new here but I`ve read allot of comments and its very useful for people like me to get so much info and knowledge for free.

So, a good friend of mine has a pocket watch that he got it from his step father a few years ago who bought it in 1990, cash, directly from the Patek Philippe Geneva store. Since his step father died, he dosen`t know how or where to evaluate it in order to try to sell it at a later time. I have attached some pictures I have ( my friend is not to good with technologies ie. photos, internet, etc. ). If you need any other pictures for a rough evaluation, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Evaluation Patek Philippe & CO pocket watch

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-watch-valuations-read-these-rules-before-asking-67379.html

Thank you for your answer and link. Great info. Maybe somebody can help me with an address where I can evaluate this watch? In London, UK? I really don`t know where to start from in order to find out the value of the watch..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eftimie View Post
    Thank you for your answer and link. Great info. Maybe somebody can help me with an address where I can evaluate this watch? In London, UK? I really don`t know where to start from in order to find out the value of the watch..
    Perhaps here: https://www.worthpoint.com though you might have to become a member?
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

It's a nice platinum patek. Do not spend too much for valuation services because later on the price is set not by the seller but by the buyer
    Chaos is my focus

When your friend is ready to sell it, he should probably contact one of the major auction houses to see if they would include it in an auction.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

There have been a few similar pieces listed recently, but I didnít see any sold prices, so a google search is your friend.

Listing prices vary significantly and arenít really a true indication of what it will actually sell for as these (relatively) modern pocket watches werenít particularly in high demand and still arenít so much, so it may take time to find the right buyer and sell.

Actual market price is dependant on the buyer and it may be worth considering an Auction house as they may be able to attract interest from buyers you wouldnít reach and if sold alongside some more popular, and in demand, wristwatches could end up getting caught in a frenzy and drive the price up.

Even then, I wouldnít be expecting it to get close to 5 figures. (Although with Auction fever - you never know)

A valuation is only going to be an estimate anyway, (and often they are over-valued to be used for insurance purposes) and hardly more realistic, so the only way to truly value it is to list it.

It is hardly going to lose much value, (unless you donít look after it) and is only going to appreciate over time, and if it has sentimental value, why not keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

DON

If it were a watch. You would have loads of people lined up to buy it.

PW. Not so much, so you will not get anywhere near what a watch would sell for. People just don't carry PW's anymore, so more like a novelty item.

Beautiful watch, but I think Patek either took it in as a trade or bought it from a seller

Balance does not have shock protection, so possibly 1940's

Check Ebay completed auctions. Maybe something similar

If you sell at auction

You will have seller fees and catalogue fees. Auction fee could be 15, 20% and catalogue fee could be $350 for image insert/description.

DON

Addendum

Do a google search on Patek reference 600 which will bring up loads of images and auction sold prices

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    If it were a watch. You would have loads of people lined up to buy it.

PW. Not so much, so you will not get anywhere near what a watch would sell for. People just don't carry PW's anymore, so more like a novelty item.

Beautiful watch, but I think Patek either took it in as a trade or bought it from a seller

Balance does not have shock protection, so possibly 1940's

Check Ebay completed auctions. Maybe something similar

If you sell at auction

You will have seller fees and catalogue fees. Auction fee could be 15, 20% and catalogue fee could be $350 for image insert/description.

DON

Addendum

Do a google search on Patek reference 600 which will bring up loads of images and auction sold prices
    This is mostly correct except that itís not a 1940ís reference at all, itís much much later than that with 600/4 dating it circa late 1980ís.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

I don't collect such pieces but for London I know two names of dealers with an excellent reputation. Mainly their watches are older but they might help or give you an ofer. Of course just the names and I but without any doupt serious:

1. Bettina Skogland and partners ...https://www.atlam-watches.co.uk/aboutus.htm
    2. David Penney https://www.antiquewatchstore.com/content/4-about-me

Good luck
    Silke
    Michael Maddan likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information