Ever seen one of these?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonm61

Thread: Ever seen one of these?

Ever seen one of these?

The last of my in-transit watches came today. It's a Cyma, with a deep blue dial and though it's hard to get it to show in the pics, the case is actually dark blue.

Name:  2011-10-24_20-04-58_881.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  180.6 KBName:  2011-10-24_20-05-33_350.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  172.9 KBName:  2011-10-24_20-06-34_645.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  167.1 KB

The back looks better in the picture...it's really dented, apparently from someone who had no idea how to take put it back on. The back is marked "Cyma Watch LTD Le Locle Switzerland" It's also marked 3ATM and then some letters I can't read followed by numbers that I'm guessing are either model or serial numbers. It's running, so the battery is good at least. I'm not sure how to take the back off, or I would've posted a picture of it.

Other than that, I know nothing about it. I have no idea how old it is. I'm having a hard time telling if the crystal is plastic or not. It's actually set under the gold ring around it. One thing I have figured out is that to change the date I have to turn it until it passes midnight and advances. There's no intermediate step on the stem, like on my other watches that have the date. As you can see, it's currently on the 4th and with today being the 24th....I don't have that kind of energy. I think I'm going to have to pull the battery until next month .

One thing I need to figure out is that strap. The one that's on there is just some cheap junk. Anyone know where I can find a replacement for it? The other thing is the finish on the attachment points for the strap...I have no idea what those are called, since I've never seen them before.

If all else fails, I'll take it with me when I go to the jeweler later this week. He's been around a while and I suspect he'll have ideas.
    DragonDan likes this.

Re: Ever seen one of these?

All I can contribute is that it looks very 70s
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

And I'm sorry - I've never seen one. I like the buckle type strap fittings (whatever they are).
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It seems to have "borrowed" its style from the museum watch!

Hartmut Richter

Museum watch?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The Movado watch with a plain black dial except for a golden dot at 12:00 and minimal writing on the dial. Called that because it ended up in the Museum of Moderna Arts.

Hartmut Richter

It's definitely an interesting one. I like odd...I missed out on one today that would've been awesome, it was a big silver square with a round dial in the middle. Not something I'd be likely to wear, but it would've been nice.

Anyway, on this one, because of the unique "lugs" it takes a 16mm strap, which is a bit narrow for me, assuming I could actually find one to put on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on what I can do to restore the "lugs" where the finish is worn off?

Thread Information