WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Excelsior Park Chronograph or Rusty Barnacle?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  georges zaslavsky 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a bit of a project on my hands but one I am very keen on succeeding with if possible. No doubt it will take me sometime and luck!

An excelsior park movement with dial and hands: an ep4 or ep40 I am not sure which.

I would date it in the 50's due to the smooth balance wheel and incabloc.

I have never worked on a chronograph before so it's going to be a mighty challenge.

I have notice the operating spring is broken, along with some rusty hammer parts and there could be a problem with the click along with others!

I would like to try and get the movement operating to begin with, however just removing the parts is going to be hard enough.

Has anyone come across a good detailed guide on the chronograph it parts and how it works. Specific to Excelsior would be fantastic.

Fashion accessory Metal Gear Pocket watch

I have finally started working on it, soaking the movement in penetrating fluid. I have been able to remove the case spacer and one hand. I shall leave the movement to soak for a good day, as I have been unable to remove the other hands gently. I am assuming they are just lifted off as any other watch.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Watch Pocket watch Clock Gauge Measuring instrument
Pest Metal
Fashion accessory Pendant Heart Jewellery Metal
SaveSave

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it possible to revive the movement? Yes, probably. The good question is: will you have anything to revive it with... From what I've heard, parts for chronograph movements from makers like Excelsior Park and Universal Geneve (ebauches by Martel) are hard to come by these days, many of them are already obsolete.

#4 ·
movement is an Excelsior Park JB04 - but this looks like a tough project.

parts are very hard to find and sometimes offered at extortionate prices, finding an original EO Yachting dial will be almost impossible - and then a complete case too (though that might be the easiest, a a Swiss seller has or had them until recently).
Hi Fred,

Out of interest do you know what the difference between the cal. 4 and cal. 40 is?

From my research I have found spare parts to be extremely expensive, if I have to CAD model them and machine them I will give it a go.

#8 ·
Hello there!

It's been a long time since I thought about embarking on this movement. Over two years in-fact.

I have continued teaching myself watch repair and completed a number of other watches. I have learn't how to replace balance staffs and pallets jewels etc. I thought now was a good time to get into this movement.

The story so far; it's been tough and very time consuming the screws have been putting up some resistance! Rust and more rust!

I am down to all but one screw! Having only broken a case screws along the way.

I will be using alum to remove the sheared case screw.

I am tempted to use alum on the current subject as the operating lever it's holding is broken.

Please see the pictures of the progress:

Copper Technology Metal Fashion accessory

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Metal

Miniature Fashion accessory

Copper Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery

Copper Metal Plant Fashion accessory Flower

Fashion accessory Jewellery Brooch Silver Metal

If anyone has any spare shoulder screws or an operating lever spring or a suitable case please message me.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.