Experimenting with lume on an old dial..
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Experimenting with lume on an old dial..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experimenting with lume on an old dial..

Need to work on ratio of lume powder to acylic lacquer/varnish along with how much ash to change it from a modern looking lume to old..

Cheers
    busmatt and Apollonaught like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Re: Experimenting with lume on an old dial..

Will see how this goes.. can remove if needed..

Cheers
    busmatt likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Update..

Cheers
    Apollonaught, busmatt and Wibbs like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Fair do's for trying this out Tony, it is not easy to do.
    I think that a little black paint mixed in the base would give a more realistic dark tint to any green lume, instead of the bits of ash or whatever.

Full marks and a sweetie for staying (mostly) inside the lines!
    busmatt likes this.

There's a thread on Watchmaking that touches upon this, with significant contributions by the esteemed Herr Doktor Ranfft, who as you may or may not know, has his own product which addresses this type of work. It's worth seeking out, I think.

I, for my part, have variously contributed to the advancement of this noble cause by suggesting using artist powder pigments added to existing products. They're controllable and available in a huge range of colours, and not expensive either. Here in the Mediterranean London (phew, we are hot, hot, hot!) I recommend L Cornellisen whose range is incomparable.

I personally can't really see why someone would want the lume on a 80 year old watch to glow with Super Luminova intensity and so don't mind that the pigment will knock this back. Anyway, seek out RR's contribution to the thread, as well his own website, which documents his advanced work and process on the subject.
    bobbee, Wibbs and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    There's a thread on Watchmaking that touches upon this, with significant contributions by the esteemed Herr Doktor Ranfft, who as you may or may not know, has his own product which addresses this type of work. It's worth seeking out, I think.

I, for my part, have variously contributed to the advancement of this noble cause by suggesting using artist powder pigments added to existing products. They're controllable and available in a huge range of colours, and not expensive either. Here in the Mediterranean London (phew, we are hot, hot, hot!) I recommend L Cornellisen whose range is incomparable.

I personally can't really see why someone would want the lume on a 80 year old watch to glow with Super Luminova intensity and so don't mind that the pigment will knock this back. Anyway, seek out RR's contribution to the thread, as well his own website, which documents his advanced work and process on the subject.
    Thanks.. I had seen the page on Dr Ranfft's site.. already having pigment I am trying to work out alternatives.. after doing this one, my wife found some tubes of watercolours that may work better than using ash..
    bobbee and busmatt like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I was kind of rude in forgetting to say that I think your results are looking good. My point was to try and get to something more repeatable and you sound to have addressed that with your wife's paints. The thing I've been finding with the pigments is that one or two grains will do to shift the colour from 'white' to 'aged.' Green eludes me at the moment…

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Sorry, sorry, sorry, I was kind of rude in forgetting to say that I think your results are looking good. My point was to try and get to something more repeatable and you sound to have addressed that with your wife's paints. The thing I've been finding with the pigments is that one or two grains will do to shift the colour from 'white' to 'aged.' Green eludes me at the moment…
    Your comments were fine.. I have found recently that getting lume pigments is problematic due to border restrictions between countries. .no idea why, but it is frustrating.. I guess it comes with living at the other side of the world..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Or the centre of it, depending upon perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by anzac1957 View Post
    Your comments were fine.. I have found recently that getting lume pigments is problematic due to border restrictions between countries. .no idea why, but it is frustrating.. I guess it comes with living at the other side of the world..

Hi all,

if you mix your own lume, I' recommend the ink of markers or fineliners instead of pigmented colors. It is transparent and therefore doesn't affect the re-emission seriously. And it is available water based and permanent, matching the type of the lacquer. For the small mixed quantaties it is often enough to paint a line on the stirring stick (or screwdriver) to get the desired color. With blue and red you can achive almost every tone of aged lume between orange and brown.

Finally a supplier in the UK offers "aged" lume powder ready to mix it with lacqer.
    VINTAGE WATCH LUME LUMINOUS PASTE KIT GLOW IN THE DARK DIY LUME FOR WATCH HANDS | eBay

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information