F.Suter&Co. Watch

Thread: F.Suter&Co. Watch

Question F.Suter&Co. Watch

I'm new to posting here, but have been lurking for awhile.
    I've come across this vintage watch, and was wondering if this movement is indeed a Felsa 690 Bidynator, and where is an AD for this Co. now located for service.:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: F.Suter&Co. Watch

Can you guys tell me more about this particular watch?
    Here are some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

don't know about the movement, but i would be extremely surprised if there was an AD somewhere. try searching your area for a NAWCC registered watchmaker. you should be able to get it serviced by him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I don't know anything but:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Felsa_692

It IS a Bidynator - with a 'special shape' rotor (see the lower set of pictures). Any good watchmaker should be able to service it.

Seems kinda rare and interesting. More knowledgeable folks will no doubt respond.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I've found some interesting information on the WEB, but a bit confusing.
    " In 1873, Buren started making complete watches and called themselves F Suter & Co.

F Suter & Co. continued with varying success to make watches with the trade name of 'Buren' for several years until it was taken over by the British firm of H Williamson Ltd in 1898. H Williamson Ltd, specifically bought the Buren factory to supply Swiss parts for the watches he was making in the UK. This later lead to a court case where he was found guilty of selling 'English Made' watches with Swiss parts in them."

"When H Williamson Ltd went into liquidation in 1932, the Buren Brand passed back to Swiss ownership."

"Buren sold many watches and movements with other companies names on them ..."

" Hamilton bought Buren from the Swiss in 1966."

Is this watch actually a Buren,by another name?

And the movement.......is it really a Felsa or a Buren cal. using some Felsa parts???

Things that make you go HHHMMMM......

Thank you the replies so far, they have been helpful.

The design looks 50's, but Buren was makeing their own stuff (and working on the microrotor), so I doubt there's a connection there. Hard to say, really. I was interested in the patent reference though...the only thing I can find that's close is this:
    http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationD...H&NR=696E&KC=E

Which <is> a watch-related patent, regarding the dial mounting. Would be curious to know if yours has a dial mounting of this type.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the info, as soon as it arrives i'll be sure to check it for this dial mounting....

I own a Suter Aquamaster which I have repaired recently (thanks to very useful input received here at the forum :), but I am surprized about the low level of information about the Suter brand. I didn't have success with finding any details on its chronological history.
    It is mentioned on the internet that company was started by two Suter brothers with a headquarters in Bienne in Switzerland, where Omega also has its headquarters. Theu have certain trademarks in the US like Hafis, Suter Aquamaster etc. according to the US trade comission and they are all expired i.e. not maintained by paying the annual fee, I guess.
    Who owns the brand now? Who was the latest owner and does Suter family still exist?
    And how is the use of their trademarks regulated - it was mentioned in another post that Hafis has been used by some chinese watch makers.
    Can somebody recommend a book about the old, bankrupt swiss watch maker companies with an interesting, innovative past? Which are now in "no-mans-land" and maybe worth resurrecting :) ?

The trick here is that "Suter" in this context isn't really a "watchmaker"; at best they're a finisher. Although it may depend on how exactly you're defining the terms. These watches appear to be customized versions of standard ebauches, so a step above a company that just slaps their own dial on, but a step below an actual "watchmaker" that has their own in-house manufacturing equipment. The main point being that "Suter" was mostly just a marketing and branding effort. This was one of the main strengths of the Swiss industry; niche players could enjoy a fair amount of success by targeting specific markets without having to make the heavy investment in manufacturing. But it also means that you end up with literally thousands of brands and companies that only existed for a few years or a decade at most.

Trademark law probably depends a lot on the jurisdiction, but generally speaking you can probably attempt to register any "dead" trademark you want. One thing to watch, though, is that just because a trademark is dead in one country doesn't mean it's dead in another, and attempting to register a trademark that's active in another country may lead to a challenge. As far as books about old companies, there are many. There's also mikrolisk.de, which is a popular reference site for Watch trademarks. And the trademark offices themselves usually have online search facilities; I make frequent use of the Canadian IP website (which maintains a list of all tradmark registrations from the earliest days) and USPTO.Org, which has records of most US registrations. Some systems only show "live" registrations though... swissreg is like that.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information