A face only a mother could love...

Thread: A face only a mother could love...

A face only a mother could love...

I recently picked up this pocket watch and I must admit that it takes a special person to appreciate the, um, beauty of this piece. I am not one of those people.

The reason for this purchase was to obtain the very clean Unitas 6498 for a project.

So a couple of questions for the crowd.

Let me preface my first by saying that I have read the rules and am not really looking for a valuation of the piece, but would like to know if I am stupid for cannibalizing a perfectly good watch of such stunning caliber.
    The second question is what would be the best source of a dirt cheap chinese clone to replace into the piece so that I can still wear it out to fancy dinners or possible the county fair.

I welcome all comments and criticisms.

Josh

Re: A face only a mother could love...

Quote Originally Posted by jkarl View Post
    I recently picked up this pocket watch and I must admit that it takes a special person to appreciate the, um, beauty of this piece. I am not one of those people.

{picture of very ugly watch face deleted..

The reason for this purchase was to obtain the very clean Unitas 6498 for a project.

So a couple of questions for the crowd.

Let me preface my first by saying that I have read the rules and am not really looking for a valuation of the piece, but would like to know if I am stupid for cannibalizing a perfectly good watch of such stunning caliber.
    The second question is what would be the best source of a dirt cheap chinese clone to replace into the piece so that I can still wear it out to fancy dinners or possible the county fair.

I welcome all comments and criticisms.

Josh
    I suspect this was the cheapest way to acquire the 6498 and rescuing it from such an ugly watch is an act of mercy!

As to placing a Chinese movement into the watch... well, what did that Chinese movement ever do to deserve such a fate?? It must have been something awful! (But they can be found on eBay if you are so cruel...)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for the reply. I was tempted to call this post "Eeeb's new Howard has nothing on this watch!" but then decided against it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jkarl View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was tempted to call this post "Eeeb's new Howard has nothing on this watch!" but then decided against it.
    There are very few things I would ban someone for... but that might be one of them

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Oh, how twee!

Say what??!!!

My wife and I think that is a beuatiful watch. If you want to butcher it, we would be more than happy to give it a safe home.

Wife is an avid horse lover.

Well Jon, sorry I didn't hear sooner but I think it's a little late. But as I told my wife, the horses will ride again.

OMG! He committed Chronocide! Call the FBI! Poor watch.

Well I guess I could learn how to build a watch.

Jon Nailor

"Chronocide" .... killing time.... I like it!

Thread Information