Fake dial, redial, original dial ...?

Thread: Fake dial, redial, original dial ...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake dial, redial, original dial ...?

Hello. Many of you were very helpful on my earlier -- and first! -- post. Thank you so much.

I have a question I hope you can answer. Before I learned more about what's possible (and abused) with watch dials, I purchased this watch from an individual describing the dial as original.
    He included (bad) pictures of the movement, which I could see was a Longines 12L. Seller said serial # of the movement was 6151359. Case is YGF inscribed with serial # (I think) 9147228 "Cased an timed in USA by Longines".
    I'll try and post pictures.

I'm curious if the dial is original, as the seller indicated. No Longines logo, no "Swiss" marking at the bottom of the dial. Hmmm ...

BTW, while I can use a case knife to get the crystal off, I don't know how to get to the movement. Didn't want to muck things up by trying (and failing). Any suggestions how that is done with this case?

Many thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fake dial, redial, original dial ...?

"Original dial" doesn't necessarily mean that it's the original paint on the dial. However, there were also a lot of instances of watch movements being imported as "parts" to (typically) developing nations in order to get around import taxes; small in-country companies would do the casing themselves. I doubt that's what's going on here though, since the caseback clearly says that it was cased in the US. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't legal to sell a watch in the US if it didn't indicate it's country of origin on the dial.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; December 8th, 2013 at 22:40.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I don't think it is a proper font for "Longines" so that is another point for likely a redial.

Most likely the stem can be removed by pulling it out... this is probably a front-loader. But I NEVER do the actual pulling myself. I leave it to my watchmaker.

Once removed, the movement will easily come out.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The intersections of the minute marks and the hour track seem to have overruns that an original dial wouldn't have . The marks on the painted hour markers are due to a wrong crystal whose inside edge is touching the dial .It's a beautiful watch with a very well redone dial . Longines used to have thier factory refinishes done International Dial on west 48th street in NYC ,this may be one of them . I really like the watch redone dial on all . I would put the right crystal on it and enjoy it !!

Name:  xxxx.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  145.0 KB

Thanks Jesse1 ... I'm a bit new to this. Can you suggest how I could find an original (or simply, correct) crystal for it? Not sure where to even start. The one on it now fits tight and looks correct to my untrained eye. I can include more pics if that helps.

I would like to see it with the bezel as the "damage " on the hour markers ( in green) could be caused the bezel as well
    Name:  xxxx.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  145.8 KB

Hi there,

the dial is not actually ugly. I'd accept it on a cheap watch pulled as first prize out of a gumball machine. But on a vintage watch from a reputable manufacturer it is kind of destruction.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks for the very qualified complement, Roland. It was neither cheap nor expensive. I wouldn't describe myself as naive -- perhaps "hopeful" -- is a better adjective, but when an eBay seller advertises the fact that the dial is original, I expect it to be original (insert peals of laughter here). I bought this awhile ago and have learned many things cruising Internet fori since then so I consider myself a more educated consumer (meaning I know which questions to ask and I know SOMETHING about how to confirm the answers) but I still have a lot to learn. I'm having fun in the process and learning a lot anyway.

Jesse1 -- thanks for the edited photo. I post a picture of the watch + bezel tonight as I have to take off for work.

Assuming I have the inclination, is it possible to size just a dial (authentic to Longines and the time period of the movement) to replace this one? I assume so but I'd need to know several dimensions to make sure the dial fit and I'd like a period one as well.

Thank you!

You mentioned that it is a 12L so that's half the battle in finding a new dial . As Roland said " it's not ugly " , I happen to like it . I completely understand the "purist " thing , I work with collectors all day ,every day , but what's the alternative ? Do you scrap these watches for parts because the dial is bad ? There is a finite supply of vintage pieces out there and with the way the watch companies are behaving lately ( trying to monopolize the repair market , therefore destroying the secondary market) I think the demand for interesting vintage pieces is going to continue to rise . I think we need to put more pressure on dial refinishers to get a better product and learn to enjoy what we have available to us .

You could do some research on what dial designs were issued on this model of Longines and have it redialed in a better, more representative manner. Once it has been poorly done like this there's little down-side in trying for a better redial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information