Fake Gallet Decimal stopwatch???

Thread: Fake Gallet Decimal stopwatch???

Fake Gallet Decimal stopwatch???

I found this stopwatch cleaning out some old things I put aside from when my stepfater passed away. Mind you I've moved twice and it' been almost 8 years since he passed. But, I thought I'd look up some of the old things that were laying around. Mind you my stepdad would have been 83 this year.

I found this Gallet Decimal stop watch. Looking it up I found similar ones BUT this one has had the glass removed at some point and in raised number 8584 was added and the "Decimal" is smaller then the Gallet, which is very unlike any I searched.

Also, the box it was in had odd numbers on it to. 753-06-230-?21 or 4, Model #301 and ?dial? #8584.

See for yourself and please let me know your opinion, it is in way too good of shape to be real and it has a John Deere key chain attached (he worked for John Deere as an enginee for 30 years but he was a huge war buff and served in the Korean war).

Name:  stopclock-3.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  stopwatch-1.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  topwatch-2.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  34.8 KB

Re: Fake Gallet Decimal stopwatch???

Just because there is a dial variation between your watch and what you can find on the web does necessarily mean you have a fake. Makers were far less OCD about dial uniformity in the past. Indeed, stopwatches were rarely faked as far as I can tell.

Nice pics... pics of the insides (the movement) would be helpful.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Just because there is a dial variation between your watch and what you can find on the web does necessarily mean you have a fake. Makers were far less OCD about dial uniformity in the past. Indeed, stopwatches were rarely faked as far as I can tell.

Nice pics... pics of the insides (the movement) would be helpful.
    I don't know how to properly open it. I know better then to grab a butter knife . Any suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bri3828593 View Post
    I don't know how to properly open it. I know better then to grab a butter knife . Any suggestions?
    In the links and articles section at the top of the forum there is a thread on how to open pocket watch cases... I bet it will help.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thank you Eeeb

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  35.5 KB
Views: 963
Size:  37.4 KB
Views: 988
Size:  37.0 KB
Views: 974
Size:  31.6 KB

You have a standard later-model decimal stopwatch. It has the Excelsior Park 3364 movement, the workhorse caliber for this type of watch. Gallet must have made tens of thousands of these, I see them all the time for sale. Still, a strong stopwatch with a good quality movement.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thread Information