Fake Rodania?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Fake Rodania?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Fake Rodania?

Well I spotted this fellah on the bay and fell for the case immediately. It's evocative of the Panerai Radiomir in shape and not a mark on it that I could see. Browsing via a smart phone didn't give much detail but I pushed the button anyway as it was bottom dollar-no bids and it would at least team up well with particular black shirt I have!

Name:  Rodania1.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  Rodania2.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  Rodania3.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  53.7 KB

hmmm...what's going on with the Roley style caseback? would that be an original Rodania fitting? Haven't found anything like it via Google image search...

Name:  Rodania4.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  59.9 KB

Crown not signed?

Name:  Rodania5.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  Rodania6.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  65.8 KB

It arrived this morning and the first job was to remove the back and have a 'butcher's hook' at the movement. First surprise was that it was a snap on not a screw on case back.

Name:  Rodania7.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  115.4 KB

Ohhhhh-K! Never mind let's press on. The movement ring is a crude looking affair that looks like it was whittled from old Tupperware with a blunt Stanley knife by someone suffering with what must be quite a debilitating 'intention tremor'! Loosely attached to it was a curl of swarf. Good job I found that before it had a chance to cause further damage. Allarm bells ringing loudly now...

Name:  Rodania8.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  Rodania9.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  119.0 KB

A few movement pics...

Name:  Rodania10.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  Rodania11.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  Rodania12.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  Rodania13.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  135.8 KB

It runs sweetly and strongly enough and sets fine (no hacking) although the winding stem is rather stiff in one part of its rotation. Pretty sure Rodania would have done a better job of the pearlage/scalloping on the plates etc. I'm calling this out as a fake but before I get back to the seller I would much appreciate the input of any Rodania savants regarding its veracity. (don't want to kick off without good reason) In its favour; it does look good with the shirt though!
    bobbee likes this.

Re: Fake Rodania?

When they redialed it and put a movement in a new case they chose to make it a Rodania -- strange. They could have sold it for more if they had make it into an Omega. I guess they knew that would have been too much to believe. I would have turned it into an IWC at least! LOL
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Well that's what I initially thought, nobody would bother faking something like a Rodania. Right then time to pass on the bad news. Might put a post up on the Chinese Mechanicals section to try and find out what movement it actually is. Thanks Eeeb.
    Last edited by The Guvnah; August 6th, 2014 at 15:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement looks to be an FHF-ST cal. 96. They came in this fish-scale type finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    The movement looks to be an FHF-ST cal. 96. They came in this fish-scale type finish.
    Wow, you know your onions Gumby, thanks for that and on the strength of that I've just found this...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...72197243,d.d2k

Name:  FHF_ST_96.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  25.7 KB

Are we saying here that this watch (or rather the movement at least) could be genuine? I've just spotted more loose swarf and bits of 'plating flash' rolling around the dial. I can't believe Rodania would let that dial out of their factory.
    Last edited by The Guvnah; August 6th, 2014 at 16:40.

Are we saying here that this watch could be genuine? i've just spotted more loose swarf and bits of 'plating flash' rolling around the dial. I can't believe Rodania would let that dial out of their factory.
    I don't know that the movement being an FHF-ST 96 really means too much with regard to the watch being genuine Rodania or something put together. These were long-produced and inexpensive Swiss movements and found their way into many, many less expensive watches. The movement example in your watch uses a non-Incabloc shock protection setting - again, I don't know what various settings were used in these movements over the years.

The movement looks like it may have a import code on it... "?XT", (can't make out the first letter in the photo). That may give some clue, at least to who imported the movement. (Rodiania is "ROT").

Rodania were a decent brand in the past, in the 1950/60s, but I really have no idea what they got up to later. If that dial is original the quality of printing is not very crisp.
    Last edited by Eeeb; August 6th, 2014 at 19:40.

Just see it as a working spare movement that can be used to fix up a nice watch in the future..
    armian likes this.

I don't know that the movement being an FHF-ST 96 really means too much with regard to the watch being genuine Rodania or something put together. These were long-produced and inexpensive Swiss movements and found their way into many, many less expensive watches.
    So I've noticed, some good names among them.

The movement example in your watch uses a non-Incabloc shock protection setting - again, I don't know what various settings were used in these movements over the years.
    Quite so, the pics and illustrations I've found so far show all variants recognisably had Incabloc protection. This one has some kind of 3 pronged circlip affair holding the jewel. I have seen this system before which involves rotating the clip 1/8 of a turn to release it but can't for the life of me remember which watch was the subject of the video stripdown on youtube.

The movement looks like it may have a import code on it... "?XT", (can't make out the first letter in the photo). That may give some clue, at least to who imported the movement. (Rodiania is "ROT").
    Until I can track down my X10 loupe the best I can make out from using a hand magnifier is "uXT"

Rodania were a decent brand in the past, in the 1950/60s, but I really have no idea what they got up to later. If that dial is original the quality of printing is not very crisp.
    Rodania rang quality bells in my memory which is what attracted me to it. The seller believed it to be NOS but I doubt they had the back off, (it would have been impossible to miss that arc of swarf) so would have been going on the condition of the case alone. Running through the seller's past sales shows that they offload quite a few low to mid value watches so I would have thought they'd have picked this one up as a potential Franken-fake. (Still no reply as yet)

Well dial is surely a fake (re-worked)
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

[QUOTE=Until I can track down my X10 loupe the best I can make out from using a hand magnifier is "uXT"[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. I'm not aware of a "UTX" import code, and the format "uTX" with the small u doesn't seem to be an import code anyway. May not be of any help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information