Fake Waltham? Maybe?

Thread: Fake Waltham? Maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake Waltham? Maybe?

I have recently sold a vintage Waltham on Craigslist that I had picked up of the Bay' with a few other vintage watches and today I had contacted the buyer that I was selling another one of my vintage Seiko's and he told me I sold him a fake. Of course the watch had a brand new Hirsch leather band on it that I spent nearly as much as the watch but I find it hard to believe that somebody is faking 60 and 70's Waltham watches when I spent $50 buying it (the only working one in the batch).

I only have a few pictures of it, I never cracked it open, it worked well from the day I purchased it, and it had some wear but was in good shape.

Anything to be told from the pictures?

[IMG]20140601_205915 by Wraith04, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]20140601_205855[/IMG]

Re: Fake Waltham? Maybe?

Looks fine to me but I would want to see the movement. Did he specify why he believes it is fake?
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Looks legit to me. It wasn't made by the Waltham Watch Company of Waltham Illinois, but then, no watches were after the mid 50's. That particular one might not even have been sold by Waltham of Chicago, the "successor" if you will. Still legit for what it is.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
    and he told me I sold him a fake. [/IMG]
    A fake what?
    What exactly he is claiming a fake from your pictures?

The movement? We you showed no movement pictures. Dial or case. Look perfect to me.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

He hasn't replied yet to why he claims that, I am really interested as to who told him this.

Looks fine, especially without seeing the movement. Surely it's just the succession issue that AbslomRob alludes to. I find it hard to believe that anyone would tool up to fake a Waltham as they trade for such relatively modest sums.
    Last edited by Habitant; August 5th, 2014 at 00:30.

The only post-Waltham Waltham worth faking, to my mind, would be the waltham watch that was worn on the moon, and as far as I know, no one is quite sure what model that was anyway.

He did reply back stating that it is stamped Hong Kong on the inside of the case back, the case is not stainless, there are no matching serial numbers from case to movement, and the W on the face is wrong. Of course the fact he is quoting the serial number issue shows he doesn't know about the later history of Waltham. I sold this for $55 on the new Hirsch I spent $40 on, hell I'm tempted to buy it back.

The buyer is ignorant of the history of post-Waltham Waltham watches. The watch appears to be genuine to me (I haven't seen the movement, but have no reason to think it is not correct for the watch) - you'll find parts outsourced from various countries on these later Waltham jobbies. Serial numbers on cases and movements will NOT match - that's as it should be. The "W" logo is indeed correct for a certain period, of which this watch looks appropriate. I'd say the only issue raised that is possibly valid is the stainless steel case issue. If you advertised it as all stainless and it is actually a plated case with stainless back then it was mis-described.

If that is the case I suggest you refund in full and take the watch back.
    Last edited by Gumby992; August 5th, 2014 at 16:09.

Yeah, he's an idiot. The W is what I call the "flying diamond" logo, which I think was used by Textron, who manufacturered Waltham watches under license after 1976.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information