Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole... - Page 2
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

For me the 'vintage bug' bite this year was pretty substantial (although NOT 30k!!) - as I never purchased a vintage watch before 2014, and this year I have purchased between 25 and 30. I think as a relative 'newbie' (I'm using a year definition for 'newbie') relative to some of the long-time collectors that have commented already, I would say here are a few of the lessons I have personally learned:

(1) Having an IPhone app for 'the web that should not be named' IS DANGEROUS TO SAY THE LEAST! I have found myself searching and bidding on vintage watches at all times of the day and night because my phone was near - I have since slowed down....simply by restricting surfing on EB...

(2) There are many different 'sub-genres' and styles from WW1 and 'trench-style' watches to art deco, early chronographes, WW2, 50s, 60s, 70s, solid gold etc - one thing I have found is after purchasing and wearing vintage watches for a while, my tastes have evolved some - so as some have already suggested, take some time early to decide what you like - which means wearing them!

(3) Radium - having seen your other thread - the older watches are more a concern here -- but only if you open them and work on them without being careful. I actually purchased a Geiger counter and probably hold the informal forum record for more than 10,000 CPM on a 1930s Waltham - but I traded that watch back !

(4) Accuracy - even though I use Watch Tracker (a great IPhone app) to monitor accuracy - when you get bitten by this 'bug' you tend to wear a different watch every day so who cares about accuracy unless the watch is off more than 5 min day !

(5) Learn not to trust ANY seller -- I learned this quite quickly as my infamous 'Vintage Omega' experience taught me. I'm originally from the States, where people tend (I'm generalizing) to start with trust that then has to be eroded. Early on the experts here argued 'trust no one' unless you can verify hallmarks, dial, movement etc. - so my view switched to trusting no one - unless I knew the seller.

Anyway - some quick feedback from a 'newbie' - have fun and good luck ! Scott

PS - THE 'EXPERTS' ON THS FORUM ARE INCREDIBLY HELPFUL - SO YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE !!
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; August 17th, 2014 at 14:38.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Banned

Re: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies in this thread.

Already there's a wealth of information here for the new vintage collector.

Everyone, thanks so much for sharing your stories and providing your insight.

Keep em' coming!
    bobbee and Sdasurrey like this.

'Dex' not to 'jack your 'Alice' Thread - but to follow up on the Informal Forum Radium 'Record' ..... The evidence please ?! SDA

busmatt likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

:O

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    'Dex' not to 'jack your 'Alice' Thread - but to follow up on the Informal Forum Radium 'Record' ..... The evidence please ?! SDA

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    Know the difference between focused collecting and obsessive compulsive disorder.....One is a joy the other will do you over...! We all learn but it's just how much the lesson will cost.....
    Excellent advice
    Sdasurrey likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I still feel like there is so much out there that I don't know about vintage watches, but that's what makes it fun, interesting and fascinating for me. I'm Learning things all the time. My collection is only 25 last time I counted. A good example of what I like to collect is: I have a simple Helbros wind up that I bought a couple years ago for next to nothing, it's shows it's age, the case is worn in some spots, the the face is not the prettiest, but It's so comfortable on my wrist.
    So when I stupidly got it wet a few weeks ago and it stopped running I could not just let go, I'm going to get it fixed because I love it!
    Now that $10.00 watch is going to be a $100 watch after I get it fixed.
    Some say why put money into fixing a "cheap" watch? I say: "I'm not in it to make money I'm in it for the enjoyment"

When I first started collecting I didn't know much, I'm much wiser since my first vintage watch thanks to all who have helped me on this, I think the BEST Vintage Forum going.

p.s. If there is any advice that I can pass along: Don't be afraid to ask questions, ask the seller questions, come here and ask questions, AND get movement pics. If the seller is not willing, then move on. I know this may not apply to all watches but it has saved me from buying many watches that I know would not of been right.

Cheers!
    Chris
    Last edited by howards4th; August 17th, 2014 at 20:06.
    Sdasurrey and bobbee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    I still feel like there is so much out there that I don't know about vintage watches, but that's what makes it fun, interesting and fascinating for me. I'm Learning things all the time.
    Chris
    And after 30 years and you feel you know it all, then something new pops up, and you realize that in Horology there is always so much we do not know

Adam
    jackruff, howards4th and busmatt like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I buy a lot of cheap lots so I have over 1000 watches so obsessive compulsive disorder sounds about right...

I have sold back 300+ watches to the market now and I doubt that more then a handful would have made it without me buying them and fixing them up again and that's a good feeling. I say 1000 watches but most are just junk that I will take parts for other watches and most will just be going in the bin.

So in short I stay in the bottom end of vintage watches and sure I haven't any real great watches but it's very fun.
    howards4th likes this.

I love this thread. I started collecting about a year and a half ago after being bequeathed a 50's Hamilton and 2 early 60's Timex, and I started following this forum about a week ago. With little knowledge, but fascinated by the visual beauty of mechanical mechanisms, I began to buy. I made some mistakes ( thankfully nothing horrible - like buying a couple Hamiltons that I did not realize had refinished dials or paying a bit more than I would now.). Maybe beginners luck, but I did buy some nice pieces without seeing mechanisms( sorry Roland- your advice is well advised and should be followed.) and I did get some worthwhile pieces at excellent prices due to bad photography so few people would bid. I try to bid on items that have solid return policies.

But I have found myself continually examining and re evaluating what my desires and motives for buying are. I have learned how important one of this forums most important pieces of advice is...Patience. Patience and information will help keep one out of trouble. I also try to ask myself before I buy how I will feel if I don't get the watch .

Problem is is the more you learn the more your interests evolve. I go to an estate sale and this hefty feeling Seiko is there with a rubber, torn Timex Chrono- alarm watchband on it. I know nothing about Seiko, but for 10 bucks, who cares. I look it up- it's a near perfect, certified chronometer King Seiko. Point is, now I'm following vintage Seiko. Hamilton micro rotors led me to Universal Geneve...and so it goes..the rabbit hole. For those into art or math, fractals are a good analogy too. And now this forum is opening up whole new worlds of information. Thanks I think. Another time for re evaluation. Current plan....aim to have 15 to 20 pieces and sell and buy as interests evolve.

Im amazed at all the knowledge and generosity here. Thanks. Great fun.

giotime
    RTB likes this.

Banned

Right now I'm primarily interested in the looks.

For instance, that Waltham isn't running (seller says water damage), but I love the looks of the case and the dial. I think I'm going to paint the hour markers black, source a running SGT 100-1 or FE 140-1 movement for it, clean it up, throw on a nice black nato, and it'll be a great retro piece.

I love taking old things and personalizing them. I also love taking old things and tweak them look as I feel the manufacturer should have offered them.

I guess I'm starting to understand that my new found love for vintage stems from the fact that I'm a tinkerer.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information