Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole... - Page 3
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Quote Originally Posted by DexDegeaut View Post
    Right now I'm primarily interested in the looks.

For instance, that Waltham isn't running (seller says water damage), but I love the looks of the case and the dial. I think I'm going to paint the hour markers black, source a running SGT 100-1 or FE 140-1 movement for it, clean it up, throw on a nice black nato, and it'll be a great retro piece.

I love taking old things and personalizing them. I also love taking old things and tweak them look as I feel the manufacturer should have offered them.

I guess I'm starting to understand that my new found love for vintage stems from the fact that I'm a tinkerer.
    Be careful not to end up with a lot of good looking to you, but really junk.
    Sellers love people like you!
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Be careful not to end up with a lot of good looking to you, but really junk.
    Sellers love people like you!
    Why does it matter? I'm not in this to turn a profit. I do it for the love of the hobby.

As long as I'm happy with my purchases, I think that's the only thing that matters.

Unless I'm grossly overspending on common pieces, I see nothing wrong with my approach.
    Last edited by DexDegeaut; August 17th, 2014 at 21:29.
    Sparcster, Sdasurrey and Mirius like this.

Why does it matter? I'm not in this to turn a profit. I do it for the love of the hobby.

As long as I'm happy with my purchases, I think that's the only thing that matters.

Unless I'm grossly overspending on common pieces, I see nothing wrong with my approach.
    Well you asked for opinions, and I gave mine.
    I see many enthusiastic novices start like yourself and ending up with poor pieces that neither work, not wearable and hence can not give the pleasure a timepiece should on ones wrist.
    OR
    They end up with a collection of nothing, worthless odds and ends.

I try to help people starting identify an are of interest that they can concentrate on.

Being "happy" to-day, may not last when you realize what you may have achieved.

Sincerely
    Adam
    bobbee, Mirius, busmatt and 1 others like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

'To Each His Own' ! Approaches to this hobby are 'free' to follow, SDA
    HOROLOGIST007, bobbee and busmatt like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

'junk' is in the 'eye of the beholder' - sometimes 'opinions' cross the 'proverbial line' - let's provide support where due for ANYONE wanting to invest in vintage watch acquisition, SDA
    busmatt likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    'To Each His Own' ! Approaches to this hobby are 'free' to follow, SDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    'junk' is in the 'eye of the beholder' - sometimes 'opinions' cross the 'proverbial line' - let's provide support where due for ANYONE wanting to invest in vintage watch acquisition, SDA
    Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Well you asked for opinions, and I gave mine.
    I see many enthusiastic novices start like yourself and ending up with poor pieces that neither work, not wearable and hence can not give the pleasure a timepiece should on ones wrist.
    OR
    They end up with a collection of nothing, worthless odds and ends.

I try to help people starting identify an are of interest that they can concentrate on.

Being "happy" to-day, may not last when you realize what you may have achieved.

Sincerely
    Adam
    Thanks Sdasurrey.

Adam, no offense taken, although I can see how my post could have come across as seeming defensive.

The point was, I don't mind if I'm buying junk, as long as I can turn that junk into something that's worth wearing in my eyes!

A find or just junk is something very personal

Name:  P8178620.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  130.9 KB
    Here is one of the nicest watches I have come across but has it got any value? No not much as it's just an old 50's Technos.

Name:  P8178617.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  74.6 KB
    But what gives me joy is that you can get a glimpse of the past owner in it. It's well used and has 5 watchmakers marks inside and at one point the crown watch replaces as the old one was worn out. As the man got older he had problems winding it and got himself a manual winder and you can see the marks around the crown were it has worn against the steel case. Now after many years in a drawer somewhere it found it's way to me and I just love this watch.
    Last edited by Shum; August 17th, 2014 at 22:40.

Hi DexDegeaut,

Sounds like you have the bug. Vintage horology is a fabulous bug to catch , and historically , to see how watches have evolved and been a part of human endeavour and achievement.

3 points.
    Collecting Vintage is extremely interesting.
    It will make you very rich.
    It will make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

...well 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Regards,

Yeah my mother really likes me more now that she can have her pick of any new acquisition...
    busmatt likes this.

Speaking of how watches are part of human endeavor and achievement.... Interesting book I just read: Revolution in Time,Clocks and the Making of the Modern World by David S Landes.
    DexDegeaut and busmatt like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information