Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole... - Page 5
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Mind if I ask what the acquisition cost vs selloff was?

Even if you sold them for $1 each, that's no chump change...

Quote Originally Posted by Datreedude View Post
    I know exactly how you feel, and by now I'm sure you already know that there is no turning back! I've always said to myself that once I get "the one" vintage watch that I have always wanted, that im would stop. And then you get the itch, you see something that catches your eye, or a deal too good to pass up, and then you're back off the wagon! At the height of my vintage watch hoarding, I had over 30,000 watches, and after I sold them all off, I decided that I would keep my collection under 100. But alas, I folded under the pressure.
    Long and short of it, just enjoy it while you can, and buy it as long as you can afford it!

I purchased the 30,000 for $1000 US. It has taken me a long time to sell and trade some. I can't really figure an exact sell off number, and I still have many in my collection. An estimate is probably around $25,000 or so, but some of the best I still have. There was a lot of low end pieces I.e. Timex and a few LED and quartz, but they do not fetch any real value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Datreedude View Post
    I purchased the 30,000 for $1000 US. It has taken me a long time to sell and trade some. I can't really figure an exact sell off number, and I still have many in my collection. An estimate is probably around $25,000 or so, but some of the best I still have. There was a lot of low end pieces I.e. Timex and a few LED and quartz, but they do not fetch any real value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wow!
    I am impressed. Good to you
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

So it turns out I didn't read the Timex listing properly.

I thought it'd be a little larger...

Bahahahahaha

LOL I done that.

Quote Originally Posted by DexDegeaut View Post
    So it turns out I didn't read the Timex listing properly.

I thought it'd be a little larger...

Bahahahahaha
    Actually this is one of the 'adjustment lessons' in the vintage space I also learned a little bit the hard way - getting used to smaller size watches and learning to start by reading the size when I peruse watches because sometimes the pics are purposefully shot to make smaller vintage watches look bigger.... Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Well the smaller size was the benchmark back then,your wrists look big,change them

Actually your watch looks more to be at the larger side,maybe 36-38mm? Civilian watches back in the '20s and '30s were below and around 30mm. Then within decades they grew and grew to an extend that we can have 60mm Invicta gadgets now.
    busmatt likes this.

60 mm = WALL CLOCK !!!!!

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I have quite thick wrists, 7 3/4 inch, but the big ones I've tried on around 50mm. look ridiculous.
    I have seen big Panerai on tiny wrists, the edges of the watch hanging over the sides of the wrist, looking like a busy waiter balancing an extra dinner plate on his arm!
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Well the smaller size was the benchmark back then,your wrists look big,change them

Actually your watch looks more to be at the larger side,maybe 36-38mm? Civilian watches back in the '20s and '30s were below and around 30mm. Then within decades they grew and grew to an extend that we can have 60mm Invicta gadgets now.
    This one is 31mm without crown!

I thought it was 37mm, but after re-reading the listing, i found out that 37mm was lug to lug.

However, there's no harm done, as my wife really likes the watch. I'll be restoring it for her.
    Sdasurrey, Emre and busmatt like this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information