Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

I don't know how or why it started.

A few months ago, on a whim, I bought a 1947 Gruen Precision. I cleaned it up, polished the case, buffed the crystal, and threw it on a nice nato. I gave it to my dad as a gift (he likes old mechanical watches).

Hadn't even given it a second thought until yesterday, when I felt the urge to start another vintage project.

I did NOTHING today but scour everyone's favorite auction site for deals. Gotta be honest, I feel like a waste of space right now :)

I ended up buying two pieces; a Timex diver, and a Waltham (not running, but I loved the case, so I couldn't pass it up).

I love the history. I love the refurb process. I love the retro looks. I love that in a world of 50mm Mixon's and Nichael Kors, I'm rocking a 33mm classic, and flipping the bird to the status quo. I'm a big fan of originality and getting in touch with your own personal style, and vintage ticks both of those boxes.

I'm even contemplating selling some of my newer pieces to fund older pieces. The value for money is outstanding with vintage.

Guys and gals of the vintage forum, where does this end? How far does this rabbit hole go?

Will I / can I go back from here?

I'd love to hear some of your experiences.

And of course, this post wouldn't be complete without some obligatory pics of today's purchases:

Last edited by DexDegeaut; August 24th, 2014 at 06:23.

Re: Falling deeper into the vintage rabbit hole...

I know exactly how you feel, and by now I'm sure you already know that there is no turning back! I've always said to myself that once I get "the one" vintage watch that I have always wanted, that im would stop. And then you get the itch, you see something that catches your eye, or a deal too good to pass up, and then you're back off the wagon! At the height of my vintage watch hoarding, I had over 30,000 watches, and after I sold them all off, I decided that I would keep my collection under 100. But alas, I folded under the pressure.
    Long and short of it, just enjoy it while you can, and buy it as long as you can afford it!
    Sdasurrey and RTB like this.

I'm only about 400 watches deep into it... but I really only consider about 250 part of 'the collection'. So I don't know how deep it goes... LOL
    Sdasurrey and Horoticus like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

400?!

30,000?!

I'm scared...

I was in a dark place when I bought the 30,000, there was literally 4 storage boxes FULL of all vintage mechanical wrist watches! From complete and working to not working but complete. It was overwhelming to buy that many at one single time.

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by DexDegeaut View Post
    where does this end?
    Lethal.

How far does this rabbit hole go?
    End not yet explored.

Will I / can I go back from here?
    No.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

I think Roland pretty much summed it up, but if I had a word of advice for a beginning collector it's not to rush. Take time, do research and find a focus. This will help to curb the amount of bad buys or excessive watches you have. Good luck!

P.S. I'm pushing around 100 pieces and I thought my collection was getting too big but you guys have some crazy numbers!
    DexDegeaut likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

The guys are all correct, no end in sight.
    I would say, look at watches, all watches, and find what floats your boat. When you find the ones you like best, research them, find out the good and bad about them. When you have done that , find out prices by looking at past sales. Now, find examples and pick out the ones you like best, and go for it.

Or ignore the above and just buy, buy, buy!
    Bye-bye, Bob.
    kazrich and Sdasurrey like this.

Know the difference between focused collecting and obsessive compulsive disorder.....One is a joy the other will do you over...! We all learn but it's just how much the lesson will cost.....
    Last edited by jackruff; August 17th, 2014 at 11:36.
    bobbee, Sdasurrey, kazrich and 1 others like this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

For me... I think I have got the balance about right between buying and selling....

I have bought 100s of watches (not 30,000...... ). I dont know how many, as I stopped keeping a record after the first couple of years (think its was up to around 200 watches at that point).... but I bought (and still do) watches to handle, research, learn and then sell on. This process (albeit time consuming) brings me lots of joy... and for me that is one of the most important things. It has also opened my eyes to watches I would not have considered when starting on this journey.

I probably own around 100 watches at present... again, not sure exactly. Some of these form part a small collections (brand, age, military, etc) and some are just stand alone pieces.

Enjoy it!
    busmatt, bobbee, Sdasurrey and 2 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information