Favre-Leuba daymatic
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Favre-Leuba daymatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favre-Leuba daymatic

Recently I got my hands on a Favre-Leuba daymatic. See pictures.
    Besides the fact that I love the design and know it's a vintage watch, I don't know much about the brand nor the watch.

I was hoping there would be some knowledgeable forum members that could give me some extra information about the watch. Cheers!

Name:  20170704_154139.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  1.20 MBName:  20170704_154147.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  1.13 MB

ps. forgot to mention,but the number on the back is, 59523 in case you can't read it from the photo..
    Last edited by Tom88tom; July 4th, 2017 at 19:40.
    KasperDK and esdy_11192 like this.

Thumbs Up Re: Favre-Leuba daymatic

Looks like a nice watch to have refurbished.
    Tom88tom likes this.

Re: Favre-Leuba daymatic

Nice watch. I'm not an expert on the brand, but I think that Favre-Leuba was a good quality Swiss brand that fell victim to the quartz crisis like many other bands. To me, they are known for quirky features, such as double-barrel movements, altimeters, depth-meters, etc. They made some nice dive watches.

Yours looks legit, but the vast majority that are available are fakes or terrible re-dials from India.
    Tom88tom likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

…quirky features… I couldn't find a better word for it.

I have one of those Favre-Leuba twin-barrel wonders of watchmaking. They wanted to come out with an ultra flat watch with a central seconds hand (which adds to the height). They made everything flatter inside the movement, including the barrel and mainspring until they discovered that it is not delivering enough power anymore and as they had some space left on the horizontal level, they put in a second one (you can see the toothed wheels looking out at the top on the image below).

A lot of stories came up and are still around about the features of this ingenious movement, but in the end it is in no way better in any respect, except that you can make an ultra flat watch with it.

Besides this, Favre-Leuba made nice and interesting watches certainly worth collecting and sometimes even undervalued by the market. There are fakes from India on the market which belong to the most disgusting things ever produced by man. As there is so much of this trash around, often making people confused, many collectors avoid the brand altogether, which is a shame.

Here is some good information on the brand:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favre-Leuba
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; July 4th, 2017 at 22:35.
    badbackdan and Tom88tom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Besides this, Favre-Leuba made nice and interesting watches certainly worth collecting and sometimes even undervalued by the market. There are fakes from India on the market which belong to the most disgusting things ever produced by man. As there is so much of this trash around, often making people confused, many collectors avoid the brand altogether, which is a shame.
    Many collectors avoid it, since many rely on luck and the sellers' integrity, and these are the two things, that - as we know - are the ones not to be relied on. Given the amount of trash out there, it's actually not that easy to find a genuine (or at least not redialed) FL. People who buy an FL often get discouraged from looking any further, because they have bought a Bombay Special, and those who can more or less easily tell a redial, are often reluctant to dig through the pile of rubbish, which is now being sold not only from India, but from "sales agents" elsewhere, so that eBay and Chrono24 location filters are useless.

Regarding the OP's watch, looks like a decent 1960s piece, with a dial that's not only original, but apparently in quite a good condition, with some nice patina. Servicing the movement, cleaning (not polishing!) the case and replacing the crystal should do the trick. Maybe also replacing the ghastly Speidel with a nice strap.
    Tom88tom, Border-Reiver and KP-99 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

The Daymatic was fairly high up the Favre Leuba model line. I own three, slightly different variations, and believe them to be undervalued in the market.

From my standpoint, the Favre-Leuba divers, Bivouac, Bathyscape, and (some) chronographs from the '60s were the best of their production, but the Daymatics were nice watches.
    Last edited by Tony C.; July 5th, 2017 at 00:37.
    badbackdan, Tom88tom and KP-99 like this.

Brilliant stuff guys, thanks a bunch!!

I'll have it refurbished soon, already look forward to wearing it :)

Favre Leuba has just replied to my email about servicing older models-which they do- with the additional info that they have located a new case for my watch made in 1987!

Since I live in Japan but am presently visiting Canada they gave me an option in either country to have a new case fitted. My contact there was Mr Stephen Berger.
    Tom88tom likes this.

Sorry first name is Stephan.

Excellent service!

Be sure to post again when the watch has been restored.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information