Favre Leuba Twin Power

Thread: Favre Leuba Twin Power

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favre Leuba Twin Power

Hi everybody, I'am a fairly new memeber and like older watches as well as new ones. I recently aquired this FL twin power off ebay a few months ago. It looks like it may be from the late 60's or early 70's not sure. It seems to be in good condition and it does keep excellent time. All I know is about FL history being one of the oldest swiss watchmakers but thats about it. Can anyone tell me more about this watch. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Favre Leuba Twin Power

Congratulations! A Favre Leuba with in-house movement! The "Twin Power" refers to the fact that the movement has two mainsprings which are not linked in series but run parallel. Favre Leuba never came up with many movements of their own but for this one, they certainly spent some time designing it. You can read a little more about it here:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...vre-Leuba_253&

The movement may be a Cal. 253 but it could also be something else, depending on movement size. Yours lacks a date and has a central second hand so the most likely candidates are the Cals. 252 and 253.

Hartmut Richter

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOBLIUS 1 View Post
    Hi everybody, I'am a fairly new memeber and like older watches as well as new ones. I recently aquired this FL twin power off ebay a few months ago. It looks like it may be from the late 60's or early 70's not sure. It seems to be in good condition and it does keep excellent time. All I know is about FL history being one of the oldest swiss watchmakers but thats about it. Can anyone tell me more about this watch. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    Nice catch!

I love a good twin-barrel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Good gracious! - never really saw one of those and now I have seen two inside two weeks. A colleague of mine, a Ukrainian by birth, showed me one (in a different style case) recently in the office. The rotor was loose but it could still be wound by hand and everything else functioned all right. His watch still had cyrillic script on the dial, of course.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Good gracious! - never really saw one of those and now I have seen two inside two weeks. A colleague of mine, a Ukrainian by birth, showed me one (in a different style case) recently in the office. The rotor was loose but it could still be wound by hand and everything else functioned all right. His watch still had cyrillic script on the dial, of course.

Hartmut Richter
    Here's another Slava 2427 (via Hong Kong )

No, that doesn't say ORIENT. It says QREINI

What would be the advantage of two mainsprings? Twice the power reserve?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    What would be the advantage of two mainsprings? Twice the power reserve?
    That's certainly not the case with the Slava. What it does offer however is a more even torque over most of the total power reserve i.e. the spring that drives the train is being constantly charged up to near full winding by the second spring. So long as the second spring can deliver enough torque to the primary spring for a bit more than 24 hours (the time between hand-winding) then isochronism is achieved. In other words, it has the same time-keeping benefit as auto-winding.

This would probably be an effective solution to the torque variation problems of 8-day pocket-watch movements. I wonder if anybody has tried that?

Hi -

On the 8-day pocket watch spring: yes. I think it was Glashütte, but I'm not sure.

What they did was fundamentally the same as the FL twin barrel, but being who they are, they took it to an extreme. You have two mainsprings, one being the key-wound (yes, on a wristwatch!) humongous mainspring, the other being a mini-mainspring that was designed to provide power for 3 seconds or so to the gear train. That way, the mainspring actually used to power the gear train was recharged after something like 12 beats, which gave the watch an absolutely flat torque curve (the mini-mainspring could power the watch alone for around 5 minutes) over effectively the entire 8 days of the larger mainspring.

I think they did it just to prove you could...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I believe Patek currently sells an 8 day keywound watch... It's a relatively small tanq if I remember correctly.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I've come across this FL Twin Power on ebay and then found this thread following a google search. It appears to carry the same 81093 serial number as the watch in this thread. I can't believe people would fake a watch like this, surely there can't be any money in it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140322014605
    Current Pieces:
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.51 (Black Bezel/Orange Nos)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 'Electric Blue' 2055.80
    Seiko Orange Monster
    CWC British Army 1997 issue 'G10'
    Garmin Forerunner 405

The nice ones that came and went:
    Omega WWW CK2444
    Ollech & Wajs ID-3077 (Orange)
    Suunto Vector (Yellow, +ive face)
    Suunto Core (Black/Orange)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information