Feeling a bit rectangular...need help with ID though.
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Feeling a bit rectangular...need help with ID though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am looking at 2 different watches at the moment and dont know if they are something I want to go for or not.

The first one I can ID the case maker as John Weir but can't make out the other case marks or ID the movement. The 2nd I have a company name but cant find any ref to them.

Busga W Co?

busmatt likes this.

Re: Feeling a bit rectangular...need help with ID though.

Hi BUSGA is tradename for Buess & Gagnebin - La Chaux de Fonds

Other trade names JONA and OLMA
    Company listed 1922
    1923 adverts for BUGSA watch Co.
    Still listed in 1925, 1951 and 1966

Mens and ladies wristwatches
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss TimePiece Makers.

PS: I like the first watch with 'exploding dial' (exagerated numbers)

Sincerely
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I'm not the one to help much
    On ID - the dial with exploding numerals is quite nice, I assume it's fairly small ? But aren't the fonts in the last pic extremely funky to say the least ? Uneven and inconsistent heights....unless it's engraved by hand ? S

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 25th, 2014 at 19:14.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    I'm not the one to help much
    On ID - the dial with exploding numerals is quite nice, I assume it's fairly small ? But aren't the fonts in the last pic extremely funky to say the least ? Uneven and inconsistent heights....unless it's engraved by hand ? S

I was thinking the same thing but they also reminded me of some of the engraving you see on some older Movado watches.

This is the dial on the Bugsa.....

busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi BUSGA is tradename for Buess & Gagnebin - La Chaux de Fonds

Other trade names JONA and OLMA
    Company listed 1922
    1923 adverts for BUGSA watch Co.
    Still listed in 1925, 1951 and 1966

Mens and ladies wristwatches
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss TimePiece Makers.

PS: I like the first watch with 'exploding dial' (exagerated numbers)

Sincerely
    adam
    Thanks for that!!

I am liking that one more too having a rather good case maker and a good quality, not great but good, movement. Needs some work but I like a challenge. Not sure of the dial on the other being original.

I would say number 1 then - whether it's a re-dial or not somehow the dial on the Bugsa looks 'off-scale' between the overall size, the spacing of the numerals on the dial relative to the total dial proportions and the size of the hands...but overall I'm a sucker personally for exploding numerals if you remember my 'omega fiasco'..so I generally like these era/type of watches.....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 25th, 2014 at 19:45.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

I am dipping a toe in so I am going with lesser or unknown to get a feel for liking them or not. I do remember the "Omega" situation. Your lesson taught me one too. :)
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I agree, number 1 is number 1!

T - here's a slightly different style of rectangular for comparison I have considered buying, but haven't .....Not 'exploding' but Longines, original dial and an interesting size plus the red '12'...S

thoth and busmatt like this.

Still no thoughts on movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information