Feels like I have been waiting an age for this to arrive...... 'Early' Borgel 1909
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Feels like I have been waiting an age for this to arrive...... 'Early' Borgel 1909

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Feels like I have been waiting an age for this to arrive...... 'Early' Borgel 1909

Yes, I know.... another 'trenchy'.... but this is a little bit special!

Bought this from the states.... has taken what seems like an age to get processed through British customs.... not helped by me checking for an update every spare minute of the day

But, today.... it arrived, just as i left for work.... grabbed a strap as I left and have been wearing it all day (- 14ish seconds over 12 hours so far).

As far as I know, this is a very early Borgel cased watch, which has some interesting points! Condition... looking pretty good!

some pics....

One interesting point, as you may be able to see in the pics... is the lug size! I have a few of these straps... all suitable for 12mm lugs - standard on these watches..... I knew as soon as I tried to put the strap on, these were small.... they are! 10mm.

First thought... redone lugs? But, I cant see any marks for where 12mm lugs should be.... I have another borgel with 18mm lugs, which you can clearly see have replaced the 12mm originals...

The case sponsor is GS - George Stockwell..... imported into London... date letter 'o' for 1909!!!

As for the movement.... would have to be..... FHF! well i think so, have not removed the dial yet to see if there are any markings. But, with its gilt movement and blue screws.... its the best FHF movement I have!

Its running and setting well... looks very clean.... but as the regulator is nearly off the scale, I do want to get it serviced ASAP.

I have come to realise these borgels are an acquired taste... not everyone seems to love them as much as I do... But, as with all the borgels I have.... they are a great size.... and just sing on the wrist!

A good day
    mike184, joeuk, howards4th and 1 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Feels like I have been waiting an age for this to arrive...... 'Early' Borgel 1909

Now that is very nice indeed, well done!

Pocket watch conversion?

Re: Feels like I have been waiting an age for this to arrive...... 'Early' Borgel 1909

WOW, 1909. Incredible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome watch! Nice clean dial, movement look's brand new and those blue parts -> masterpiece! Congrats!
    "Life is a path, Death a destination."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Now that is very nice indeed, well done!

Pocket watch conversion?
    Thanks Mirius...

As for a 'conversion'.... im unsure of the Borgel pocket watch sizes? This is the standard(ish) 35mm width of case for their gents wrist watches.... but that is not to say borgel did not make this size of pocket watch? The tube for the stem is of the same design as all the others I have....... but i have learnt to keep these options open....

...especially as these early wrist watches were basically conversions of pocket watches!

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    WOW, 1909. Incredible.

I will take WOW as a good thing!

(cant have you having the earliest wrist watch in your 'line up' thread....)

Cheers K
    armian likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    cant have you having the earliest wrist watch in your 'line up' thread
    Coup de grāce, hey. I had thought you my friend.
    Last edited by trim; April 25th, 2012 at 00:10.

Congrats, Sparcster!

A very nice trenchwatch, looks brilliant and seems to be in an astonishing good condition - unbelievable that it“s more than 100 years old.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Coup de grāce, hey. I had thought you my friend.
    All's fair in love and watches......

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    All's fair in love and watches......
    Et tu brute?

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    unbelievable that it“s more than 100 years old.
    Indeed, clearly a fake...

lol.

I really think this is your best Marc.
    Last edited by trim; April 25th, 2012 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by armian View Post
    Awesome watch! Nice clean dial, movement look's brand new and those blue parts -> masterpiece! Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Congrats, Sparcster!

A very nice trenchwatch, looks brilliant and seems to be in an astonishing good condition - unbelievable that it“s more than 100 years old.

Cheers gents!

The screw case does a great job of keeping the movement clean!

The dial.... Looks mint! Which I'm very happy about.

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information