A few quality American newcommers...
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: A few quality American newcommers...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A few quality American newcommers...

I've not shown anything new here for some time, so today I present:

New to my growing collection, some high quality American pieces, in average condition mostly, but worth a look :)

An Elgin Father Time grade, a victim of Polish 'watchmaking tradition', with damaged balance, likely non original hairspring, filed dowen pallet cap jewel setting and bent down balance bridge. Despite the damage works (and looks) pretty good... RR case, with a crack in the caseback...

A Hamilton 950 - converted in the factory from stem to lever set. Badly damaged movement has non original hairspring and pallet fork and no longer keeps 'RR (or even close to RR) time'. Some rust in the movement as well. Outside - good as new, somehow...

Next, a high grade dustproof Keystone Watch Co with the 'notorious' fading dial made of some kind of plastic. Personalized dial, recased...

And beautiful, lace doily Elgin grade 155 HC watches, from 1st and 2nd runs of the grade.
    The 1st run piece, with replacement hands and recased, but in adorable condition:

And the 2nd run piece, with non original windnig gear (I had it replaced with a well polished original by now), in origial GF case

And last but not least, as they say, 16s Veritas grade Elgin (this one I might have already shown here, I'm not sure..):

Cool stuff!
    Have a great day!!!

Re: A few quality American newcommers...

Thanks. A pleasure just to look at those.

Another interesting watch I've been working on yesterday is a USWCo of Marion A.H.Wallis grade.
    A.H.Wallis was, for some time, the second highest grade made by USWCo, yes way below the 'United States Watch' top grade.
    This watch has many quality issues and I think this might have been a QC reject sold later by the reorganized 'Marion Watch Co'...

A.H.Wallis should have cap jewels on the top plate and I've corrected that yesterday, for the better looks mostly.
    Still the escape bearing jewel setting has an off-center hole and maybe this was originally 15 jewel (no caps) movement indeed.
    Marion Watch Co. is suspected of selling them without the caps, so maybe...

Anyway - when I got it it had a loose cap jewel in the escape wheel bearing and no cap in the pallet bearing, leaving me confused.
    I like it more with the caps, so now it has both :) .

It's recased in a very handsome kw case. It is a stem wind, button set movement, but works fine as keywind as well (both winding and setting).

Name:  caps1.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  movement.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  dial.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  92.4 KB

Interestingly, this watch, AFAIK considered RR grade back in the 1870s, despite it's average condition and quality issues, keeps very good time of circa -5s/day with very reasonable positional deviation and isochronism :)
    I wound it and wore it for one day - it was -5s during 10hrs in my pocket and then +2s with weaker spring tension flat on my table over inght (12h). I think this was a ver well factory-adjusted watch when new...
    Last edited by pmwas; May 31st, 2015 at 17:53.
    bobbee, stevethewatcher and JOSE G like this.
    Have a great day!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful watches - must have been difficult to get proper parts in Poland, judging by the description of some of the repairs...

The Keystone is one I haven't seen before (but I am a wristwatch collector). I like the cover over the balance with the little observation window.

Thanks for the pictures. Great to see your collection.

Keystone W.Co was the successor of bankrupt Lancaster Watch Co.

Firstly they finished (or just sold) Lancaster watch Co completed movements, later they modified the plates design and made they patented 'dustproof' movement. Total production was about 50,000 pieces, so obviously you might have missed this maker.

Later it became one of the companies merged into Hamilton Watch Co.
    Paleotime and bobbee like this.
    Have a great day!!!

Another high quality American watch I've only just finished and recased. Nice Adjusted 18s Columbus, S/N 47,070, with fancy double sunk dial.
    recased in a 10yr GF case

And another. I bought this fot the early, gilt damaskeened finish, not seen in later Columbus watches.
    Interestingly, despite it's top quality looks, this is an 11j movement. Simply the top and the pilar plate must have left a different room of the finishing department, the top plate being damaskeened on both sides and the pilar plate plain, unjewelled. The numbers match, of course. It's called marketing I guess :)

Last edited by pmwas; June 5th, 2015 at 11:14.
    Paleotime and bobbee like this.
    Have a great day!!!

Oh, and since I've mentioned Columbus Watch Co, here's a nice piece I've "accidentally" resurrected.

It is an early (S/N 4246) 14 size 15 Jewel Swiss Columbus movement from the time they were only finishing imported calibers.
    I Bought it for a few bucks just to see how it looks and it turned out to be restorable. So I cleaned most of the rust off and recased it in a 14s AWWCo silver case.
    They match just perfectly. I still need a proper minute hand, but the effect is very cool...

Last edited by pmwas; June 5th, 2015 at 20:20.
    Paleotime, Mirius, bobbee and 1 others like this.
    Have a great day!!!

A new 'killer' movement. A rare 16 (!) size USWCo of Marion movement. 15 jewel Edwin Rollo grade. 16 size USWCo movements are rare and very difficult to come by. Sadly, they are also very difficult to recase :(
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pmwas; June 25th, 2015 at 19:16.
    bobbee, Paleotime, busmatt and 2 others like this.
    Have a great day!!!

Keystone Watch Co with the 'notorious' fading dial made of some kind of plastic.
    Really, plastic
    Looks enamel!
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The 16 size Rollo is a great find.

If it were mine, I'd leave it uncased. An 1860 model Waltham case might fit, but they are pricey in and of themselves(I've turned down $3K "without the movement" for one of mine, although admittedly it's in virtually unused condition) and I personally couldn't bring myself to break down an 1860 to case another watch. Cased 1860s aren't exactly easy to find by themselves

Do you have the Hanson-Meggers-Ehrhardt(and some other guy I'm forgetting) Marion book? It's tough to find, but the production figures are a lot more accurate than in the hardbound "history" book that is available cheap still from the NAWCC.

Jon supposedly is working on a reprint of the Marion book with updated serial number observations from the last 20+ years, although every time I've asked him about it he's told me to "be patient" :).
    bobbee and busmatt like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information