A few questions about a watch I just got passed to me...

Thread: A few questions about a watch I just got passed to me...

A few questions about a watch I just got passed to me...

Name:  BenrusWatch.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  315.5 KB
    My father in law died in 2001 and my mother in law a couple of months ago. We found this watch in some of his stuff (along with another I believe to be a Hamilton Military watch). It is obviously a Benrus but I can't find out much more about it. I took it to a local watch repairman and cleaned it up. He said it may be dated as far back as the '50's but he did not know for sure. He had to replace the lower stem as it was pretty loose.

I know this watch will not be "valuable" in the monetary sense, but I just like the darn thing!

So a few questions:

(1) I've tried researching on the web but coming up empty on how to date this watch. Any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

(2) On a watch like this, what would be considered good "time"? (In the last 48 hours, it has lost 2 minutes and 3 seconds.) Is that acceptable for this watch?

(3) Because my father in law was a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant and the other watch we found has obvious military connections, I thought maybe this one does also. Is that too big of a stretch?

(4) When you look closely at the watch face, the "glow in the dark" triangles... three are missing and the rest are pretty faded. The numbers are pretty faded (I think also in the "glow in the dark" material.) Is it an option to swap out the face or to have this one repaired? Also notice the minute hand... you can see through it... only the outline of the hand is still there. Can that be replaced?

(5) The wristalarm function. I tried when I first got the watch and it worked. The watch repair guy could not get it to work after putting it back together. I'm assuming this should be fixable?

Enough questions for now. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a newbie. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

Re: A few questions about a watch I just got passed to me...

It's a Benrus "Commemorative" Military styled watch, produced in (I believe) the mid to late 60's. Not sure what they were commemorating. Benrus was nominally an "American" company (they imported movements and cased them in the US), and on that basis participated in a number of post-WWII watch tenders for the US military. However, to the best of my knowledge, alarm functionality was never used in any military specs.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A few questions about a watch I just got passed to me...

Welcome to Watchuseek. Your watch has an Adolf Schild calibre inside, probably the AS 1475:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1475

...but it could be the successor, the AS 1930, if it is recent enough (post 1969):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1930

You can tell the difference by the way the alarm operates: in the AS 1475, the alarm is activated by pushing the crown at 2:00 in, in the AS 1930, it is activated by pulling it out. If the alarm worked and your watchmaker messed it up, he is obviously not worth his salt.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information