a few vintage watches from my collection

Thread: a few vintage watches from my collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture a few vintage watches from my collection

Hi from the home of the Indy 500,

I got the hankering to try to be artistic yesterday with some of my vintage wrist watches and 1902 Elgin pendant pocket watch. All but the Elgin I bought because because of their unique looks.

My first example is a Raketa Copernica. The post card is from Cody, Wyoming. It's a nice little motel if you ever get the chance to stay there. The watch itself only cost me $50.00 and runs like a champ. When I wear it on my wrist, I can say I have an eclipse once and hour. The red strap seemed to call to me and say "put me on that watch with a black case and black dial!"

The next watch is a Citizen automatic on a stingray strap. The dial of this watch, for some reason or another, reminded me of a bat. I searched like crazy to find a strap as unique as this watch. It was a "bay buy". It too runs spot on. I have been very lucky with my ebay buys. I forgot to mention that I have put it against a Australian painted Aboriginal Emu egg.

Can you tell that I'm a St. Louis Cardinal fan? This Seiko S-Wave automatic came from an Indianapolis based ebay seller for $50.00. It has a display back. It too runs spot on. The strap is another add on that I thought would look great with the watch. I have always wanted a Seiko S-Wave because of their unusual bracelet, but unfortunately this didn't have one.

The next one is a Sandoz. I love the way Rado watches look, but can't seem to pull the trigger on one because of the cost! This one reminds me of a Rado Starliner. I put a black shark skin strap on it. The watch has a very elegant look to it, even though it is a "poor man's Rado". I have had many nice comments on its appearance.

The next watch is a Poljot "Stadiuim" 23 jewel automatic. Did I mention it has a green dial? This is another attempt to quench my desire for something like a vintage Rado. When I first bought it, I put a brown rally strap on it and it looked great. I decided to put this python strap on it so my wife could wear it (I'm always trying to justify my watch buys). This is, of course, another bay buy. The seller is from the Ukraine, as was my mother's mother. It is HUGE, GOLD AND GREEN! It also runs great. It has a button on the side to set the date. I can't read Russian, so it doesn't matter what the day function says. I'm pretty sure my wife won't wear it so the rally strap is going to back on it.

The next vintage watch is a 1942 Bulova. By far this is my favorite vintage watch. I tried to take a photo of it between old photos of my father. The first one was probably taken in the 1920's and the other one probably in the 1940's. The brown stap feels good and looks with this watch. It is hard for me to keep my eyes off the watch when I wear it.

The last watch is a 1902 Elgin pendant pocket watch. It was won in a a poker game some time after 1906 by my Grandmother's brother after they had immigrated to the U.S.A. from the Ukraine coming through Ellis Island. I love the enamel dial on this watch. The watch is only worth sentimental value, but runs strong and accurate after being around over 100 years! It amazes me that it has been in my family for about 100 years. The last photo the watch is paired with is of my wife's Irish grandfather.

Finally, I tried to get a photo of these watches (except the Elgin) with my violin and viola. I play and teach for a living. My violin is over 100 years old and one of my violin bows was made in the 1920's by a famous German bow maker.

I enjoy my vintage watches on a regular basis. Matching them with straps that I think matches their character is fun for me. The search for the straps can be sometimes daunting, but in the end gives me a great feeling when they get to come together with the watch. It seems these photos look huge and I don't know why. Also, taking photos of watches is not an easy thing to do. I don't know how many I took because of the blurry nature.

I hope you enjoy seeing this little collection that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
    Chris

Re: a few vintage watches from my collection

Very nicely done !! Nice collection shot.

Love the Bulova and the story behind the Elgin is exceptionally neat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting these. I've not seen a Poljot Stadium before - impressive.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

nice collection, some very interesting pieces, thanks for sharing and great pics

The pendant-watch and the Bulova wristwatch are beautiful. Elgin could do with a servicing though.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hi!

Nice watches and pics, thanx for sharing! I love the Sandoz, the Bulova and the Elgin PW.
    I wouldn´t call the Sandoz a "poor man´s Rado" - the quality of both brands should have been on the same level in the 1950s. And the design is unique. With those Lancette-hands, the Sandoz should be older(mid-1950s) than the Starliner(end 1950s) and the markers in cube-design were surely used before Rado started with them. A very nice watch!
    If you own "poor man´s Rados", these are the Russian ones. The Raketa Kopernika reminds to a Rado Satellite with it´s magic dial and the Poljot Stadium is a design-copy of the Rado Starfire, including a red emblem on the top of the dial, imitating Rado´s moving-anchor-logo.

Best regards, Mike

Indianapolis Mystery!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. I'm very partial to the older ones . Your Indianapolis locale reminded me of a mystery that remains with my 1914 gold pocket watch. Before I acquired it, the dealer informed me it was in the possession of an Indianapolis family for three generations, possibly from new. The only clue to their identity are the initials "MHL" engraved on the back. It would complete the story to know who they are!

I've tried several online sources but cannot locate a logical match for those initials. Would you have any suggestions? Sorry for the hijack...
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

I had the Elgin serviced about 7 years ago. The photos make it look a little rough to me, but it is really a beautiful shape. There's some brassing, but my poor eyes don't see that.

When I was in college, I used to use it as a regular watch. I never really thought about the history of it too much until my mother told the year (1906) my family immigrated from the Ukraine. I was named after the relative (Christopher) that won it in a poker game. He died very young of something like appendicitis. The enamel dial just absolutely blows me away with its beauty. It does not have any hairline cracks in it and the dial has never been cleaned, at least not as long as I have had it (over 30 years).

The only thing that makes the watch tell its age is the outside of the case. It is quite worn down, but not scratched up. The metal looks as if someone used it as a pocket watch for years. The detailing is somewhat there, but not sharp and clear. I think it adds to the character of the watch.

I clearly remember when my Grandmother gave it to me. She told the story about how the watch was won, who won it and how he died. That brother of hers was her favorite sibling and from all accounts a practical joker of sorts. I have always loved the watch, but never really fully appreciated its history to our family until I started collecting vintage watches. How many people can say that they can use a watch as a daily time keeper that has been in the family for around 100 years? I'm proud to say that I am one of those lucky people.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously."
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by indiana_holmes View Post
    How many people can say that they can use a watch as a daily time keeper that has been in the family for around 100 years? I'm proud to say that I am one of those lucky people.
    I'll need another 16 years before I can say that. But I am thinking, family watches with period photos of their owners would be a great thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information