Figuring out age of Vulcain Cricket

Thread: Figuring out age of Vulcain Cricket

Figuring out age of Vulcain Cricket

Hello everyone,

I just acquired a Vintage Vulcain Cricket watch and was wondering if anyone can help me place a date on it using the serial number. Maybe they did it sequentially?

The story from the original owner was that he got it as a gift from his father in 1943. However, the cricket was not introduced till 1947.

The serial number on the case back is 305001.

Hope you can help.

I will post some photos once I get a chance.

Thank you all.

Christopher

Last edited by Ray MacDonald; November 15th, 2008 at 00:21. Reason: Commercial signatures not allowed unless a sponsor

Re: Figuring out age of Vulcain Cricket

As far as I now there is no Vulcain serial number list available online. You might try an email to Vulcain, whose successors are still in business.
    http://www.vulcain-watches.com/contact/home.htm

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The Cricket patent was applied for on 27. September 1943. I doubt, however, that yours is as early as that (one could not per se exclude the possibility that you have a rare prototype). In M.P. Horlbeck's book on wrist alarms, some pictures of Crickets are shown, the early ones all with Cal. 120 (later on, as the movement changed slightly, the calibre designations also changed; the 120 is the earliest type). One watch has 307004 but aother has 303002. A third has 414832. All I can therefore say is that you have an early Cricket but not the very earliest. Probably 1947-1950 would be my guess.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the response. I emailed Vulcain but they do not have any records of the vintage watches, so they could not help.

I asked the original owner again and he said that he recalls it was 1943 / 44 when he got it as a gift from his father.

I have attached some photos of the watch. The movement is marked 120.

Regards,

Christopher
    www.watchhunter.ca

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The Cricket patent was applied for on 27. September 1943. I doubt, however, that yours is as early as that (one could not per se exclude the possibility that you have a rare prototype). In M.P. Horlbeck's book on wrist alarms, some pictures of Crickets are shown, the early ones all with Cal. 120 (later on, as the movement changed slightly, the calibre designations also changed; the 120 is the earliest type). One watch has 307004 but aother has 303002. A third has 414832. All I can therefore say is that you have an early Cricket but not the very earliest. Probably 1947-1950 would be my guess.

Hartmut Richter
    Attached Images Attached Images