Filled another hole...Twin Barrel

Thread: Filled another hole...Twin Barrel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Filled another hole...Twin Barrel

And this one fits my idiom too...the "affordable" part, being a Russian made Slava movement. Hoping the Russian experts can fill in some details for me. From what I've read, it's marked Slava on the dial, and has an unusually high jewel count (kinda dodgy that; at least two of the "jewels" use used on posts that hold the day ring. Not usually a high wear area). The CCCP on the dial suggests pre soviet collapse. The outer date-set ring of the watch is made of metal, which I understand means its older, but the movement itself has no markings on it at all, which usually means later. Could be a franken, I guess, although with Russian watches, I'm not sure how to tell.

The case back is blank with just the number "967" punched into it.
    Name:  DSC_7313.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  256.7 KBName:  DSC_7314.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  364.3 KB
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Filled another hole...Twin Barrel

I thought the twin barrel Slava were only automatic, and the rotor was their weak spot because the lubrication tends to dry up quickly and the rotor seizes. I can see the plates on your movement have 2 different colours, so maybe the movement is a franken and it has somehow been modified to to remove the winding rotor.

I have an automatic 27 Jewel export version (1980) I inherited from my grandfather. There are other jewel counts for the same movement, depending when it was produced. The 32 jewel version is very rare. The 27 jewel version is common. The 26 jewel version came later when Slava tried to economize production, and roundabout the same period they changed to plastic day date wheels.

If you post this on the Russian sub-forum the experts there will be able to give you much more info, and also tell you if it's franken or not.
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Hi there,

manual wind variants exist, the Slava 2414 with date and the 2428/2429 with day/date:
    bidfun-db Slava_2429: Slava 2429

But at least the dial doesn't belong to the movement, which should have cap jewels on almost all bearings.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Roland; given the difference in the look of the plates, I figure the dial and top plate are original, but someone replaced the two train bridges with ones from the 21 jewel version. I count 22 jewels on this as it is.

actually I don't think the these slava movements ever had cap jewels on the bearings. Most of the extra jewels come from the dial side jewels for the day/date complication. I think there are 6 or 7 jewels for the day/date. I will have to take a look on mine to make sure as I cant remember but there are 3 or 4 posts that surround the date ring and on the posts are cylinder shaped jewels. And under the date ring are friction fit jewels that look like cap jewels, probably 3 or 4 of them too but they don't support any pivots just the date ring. Oh yeah, one thing Roland I don't think Slava ever made a 2429 movement I could be wrong though, a 2429 would be the same as 2428 except without a second hand

here is 26 jewel slava, sorry for the bad pic, its from before I broke the movement and when I had my old camera with crappy macro.

here are some I just took

I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Here's the top plate: you can clearly see nine jewels, and if you look closely, there's another one inside the center post for the second hand. The shock-unit isn't installed.
    Name:  Top Plate.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  367.5 KB

Not a Slava, but this is my Favre-Leuba "Twin Power" from the around 1964...

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Here's the top plate: you can clearly see nine jewels, and if you look closely, there's another one inside the center post for the second hand. The shock-unit isn't installed.
    Name:  Top Plate.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  367.5 KB
    you missed one I counted 10. sometime in your watches life you movement was replaced with a later made one probably in the mid to late 90s before slava stopped making movements. this was when they started to reduce the jewel count for the 2428 to 21j.
    here is the top plate in mine I counted 15 not including balance jewels. 5 posts surrounding date disk. 3 under the date disk, and 7 for the pivots and center post

here is the unedited pic
    Last edited by ltri; January 1st, 2011 at 05:16.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

pretty interesting watch, thanks for sharing
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Curiouser and curiouser. I just recounted the jewels on mine, and I'm at 24...10 on the top plate, 7 on the balance/fork, 4 on the first bridge, 2 on the second, and one on the pallet bridge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information