Final unpopular pocketwatch best 12 size. Hamiltons.

Thread: Final unpopular pocketwatch best 12 size. Hamiltons.

Final unpopular pocketwatch best 12 size. Hamiltons.

The most expensive Hamiltons when made were the 920 and Masterpiece. The Masterpiece was the 922 in fancier 18k or platinum cases and so marked. 1930's cost $685. Examples here of 1910 920 and 1938 922 with fixed bow. 920 with odd single hinge clamshell like an old English paircase. Both 14k solid. Competitors: Lord Elgin 190. Waltham Maximus. Second click to read 1916 catalogue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 2nd, 2010 at 15:33. Reason: add

Re: Final unpopular pocketwatch best 12 size. Hamiltons.

A Hamilton 922 Masterpiece is on my wishlist. It was surely an expensive watch, average new US car price in 1930 was $640 according to this site:
    http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1930s.html
    This was the watch for those who owned Cadillac V16 or Duesenberg and still wanted a US made watch.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Here is some more useless information as it does not focus on watches at all, but shows some of the cars the buyers of a Hamilton Masterpiece might have had an eye on: During the 1930'ies there were a few super high end US manufacturers. I can recall only three that had a V16 engine: Cadillac, Marmon and Peerless. Cadillac even came out with a second generation V16 in 1938. Duesenberg certainly was up there and beyond them in price and power of its supercharged straight 8. Auburn also had versions with their supercharged 8-in-line. Packard and Lincoln both had V12 engines, Lincoln kept these in the Continental model until 1948. V16 engines have not been much used after that, there was the famous small volume British 1.5 liter BRM racing engine of 550 HP in the 1950'ies. The last car to use a 16 cylinder engine is the current Bugatti Veyron with its 1001 HP, although in W16 configuration.

I am sorry I diverted so much from our topic.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like what you write about the fine mechanical excesses of the past. My favorite old car is special body roadster V16 of around 1930 from any of those you mention. Before age twenty I was resident near Manchester, VT. A few summer residents kept huge 1930-3 mostly 4 door roadsters there for summer use. Tom Lincoln, grandson of Abe, had a fine residence there. I had chance to buy his 30k miles V16 Lincoln fair weather custom limo for $200. I had no place to put it. Father got several Parker bird guns. I am amazed and pleased how Swiss are still refining mechanical things. Custom cars as well as watches.

Hi artb, I think the Lincoln you mentioned was a V12 as Lincoln never made a V16. Anyway a wonderful automobile.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

It was a very long front hood. I do not remember looking at the engine. Now my story is corrected. Most impressed with interior. Honest Abe certainly gained a lot for his dscendants.

Thread Information