Finally got an Accutron
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally got an Accutron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finally got an Accutron

After spending way too much time here on WUS and learning about all the interesting and unique movements out there, well let's just say the wallet and the wife have been very tolerant of late with my desire to acquire.

So awhile ago, I had posted my vintage "grails" that were the top of my "get" list. One of them was the Accutron Spaceview, which is still way up there. But over the weekend, I was able to score a super sweet deal on a 1971 (N1) Accutron with a 218 movement. Still kind of surprised I picked it up for what I paid. That and I really dug the silver and blue color combo.

Have no clue whether or not it works and from everything I've learned here on WUS, I'm not going to pop in a battery to test it until I get it serviced first. Who knows how longs it's been sitting in a drawer. I know the crystal needs to be replaced, just really hope it's in good working order (fingers crossed).

So I've done some research and found a couple of places to send it off to, but wanted to see if anyone had any personal opinions on where would be a good place to have it serviced and checked out. Obviously don't want to break the bank, but know it's not as simple as getting a 17J oiled up. Any suggestions? Feel free to reply or just PM me.

Enough with the talk, here are the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Re: Finally got an Accutron

That's a great looking watch... Love the dial!

I am always a bit reluctant to buy a electric/battery watch that is not up and running. Only because, if I was selling, I would have tried a battery before listing to see if it worked!

Fingers crossed!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Love old Accutrons!

I have my grandfather's; I love putting it up to my ear to hear the 218 hum. Such a lovely sound.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club

My 218 Woody, 214 Spaceview and 214 Railroad all say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    That's a great looking watch... Love the dial!

I am always a bit reluctant to buy a electric/battery watch that is not up and running. Only because, if I was selling, I would have tried a battery before listing to see if it worked!

Fingers crossed!
    I took a MAJOR gamble, see seller's original (and only) pic.
    But it looked better than I thought, so hoping for the best.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Checked Dr. Ranfft's website to get a movement pic for the 2181 and it appears I am missing a part that goes over the battery.
    Hopefully this doesn't bode badly for my movement being in working order.

After having collected a lot of Accutrons over the years, buying one where the seller says "may just need a battery" almost always proved to be problematic. They usually didn't put a battery in it for a reason - it has other issues. Batteries are cheap and easy to find. Put one in it as soon as you get it to see if it works. Get an Energizer 344.
    Accutrons work differently than mechanical watches. The tuning fork powers the watch and there is no stress on parts like a mainspring exerts.
    That being said, you can sometimes luck out, and this one is a very cool 70s watch. The date code is on the back of the case, like N3 for 1973 or M9 for 1969.
    I have a couple good sources for repairs, PM me if you need them.

Here's my list of reference links:
    Bulova Accutron (Tuning Fork) Reference Links
    "My grail showed up today"

Quote Originally Posted by TheJohnP View Post
    Checked Dr. Ranfft's website to get a movement pic for the 2181 and it appears I am missing a part that goes over the battery.
    Hopefully this doesn't bode badly for my movement being in working order.

Yes, you are missing the clip. I was hoping it was left out of the picture by accident. Not a hard part to get.
    "My grail showed up today"

Took it to my watch guy (who no surprise doesn't work on accutrons) and he replaced the clip and put in a battery and it started humming right away.
    Score!

Now I need to send it off for a cleaning/servicing and get a band and then reserve plenty of wrist time for the latest addition to my collection.

You can actually regulate these. A 218 should be able to do a second a day or so!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information