Finally got a matching gold crown for my Roamer - that fits!

Thread: Finally got a matching gold crown for my Roamer - that fits!

Finally got a matching gold crown for my Roamer - that fits!

Hi,

Ever since I bought my vintage Roamer, which has a gold plated case, I wanted to get a matching crown for it. It came with a silver coloured steel one, which although perfectly functional and in good condition, bugged me increasingly as it was not in keeping with the rest of the watch.

So I tried to get hold of a Roamer signed gold crown from Cousins UK, using the case number(s) on the caseback. I had to submit a request for a non-listed item as they didn't have it listed on the website, but I was told they might still have it in stock. But they came back and said it was obsolete and could not be obtained . I decided to try and get a generic gold crown from them, it arrived and when I tried to fit it, the tap size was too small ! This was because I could not measure the tap size down to a small enough unit (0.1mm) as I have no micrometer or calipers. Plus it was the wrong sort of crown, it did not cover up the case tube and was stuck out on the end of it .

Having spoken to the guy at RLT Watches (very helpful and friendly guy), I found I needed a waterproof type crown. "Give it one last try", I thought, and I ordered a tap 12 gold waterproof crown from Cousins. It arrived today in the post and, lo and behold, it fit ! So now the watch has a matching gold plated crown, and I put it on a nicer Darlena black leather strap. I'm now a very happy man, mission accomplished .

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by billybobman; December 20th, 2010 at 16:42.

Re: Finally got a matching gold crown for my Roamer - that fits!

Good to hear. I just got the correct crown for one of mine from cousins as well. Nice thing was it even came with a new tube, and was properly signed.

I don't think the one you want is certainly obsolete though. Actually finding the right case number for yours is tricky as it isn't on the outside like the later ones. In fact the earlier older style of waterproof case didn't have them at all, you have to work it out from the catalog.

Anyway yours is looking good, not bad at all for a 1955-59 watch is it.
    Last edited by trim; December 20th, 2010 at 21:22.

Re: Finally got a matching gold crown for my Roamer - that fits!

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Good to hear. I just got the correct crown for one of mine from cousins as well. Nice thing was it even came with a new tube, and was properly signed.

I don't think the one you want is certainly obsolete though. Actually finding the right case number for yours is tricky as it isn't on the outside like the later ones. In fact the earlier older style of waterproof case didn't have them at all, you have to work it out from the catalog.

Anyway yours is looking good, not bad at all for a 1955-59 watch is it.
    Cheers, yeah it looks pretty good for its age, I like 1950s watches very much, they have a certain style and quality which really appeals to me. My Bernex is also 1950s with an FHF 28. Very nice Rotodate you have there, looks good with the signed crown. And thanks for the info about the case number, I'll try and track it down. Cousins is indeed a great place for parts and info, I recently downloaded the specifications for a number of my movements from there including the MST 372.
    Last edited by billybobman; December 21st, 2010 at 12:20.

Thread Information