A fine mc gold 18 size 1894 Waltham hunter case from fine dealer
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By artb
  • 1 Post By artb

Thread: A fine mc gold 18 size 1894 Waltham hunter case from fine dealer

A fine mc gold 18 size 1894 Waltham hunter case from fine dealer

I have not been active lately in this and other forums because of selling big guitar collection. Not as easy as selling good old watches. Converting guitars to mostly gold watches as better inheritance situation for daughter and fun for me. Main interest lately continues to be never ending variety of old Gruen p.w..
    Notice a little more competition lately in bidding for the exceptional, unknown examples that appear on ebay. Many interesting to me tiny Gruen made gold cased pendants with high quality Swiss movements from the the best makers. Will show a few soon. Subject here is heaviest 1890 multicolor gold hunter I have seen. Typical original arrangement with cheap model 83 movement in very fine thick Solidarity case. An heirloom showing no surface wear and a cut in thick bow to prove solid gold. Showing this, using Gilbert's of Ashland permitted ebay photos, as example of my good purchasing experience for it.

Listed with the usually justifiable Buy It Now price for fine condition serviced watch from Ashland. My best Gruens and big mc golds are from there. Reporting only my experience with them. Not a promotional for personal gain in any way. This purchase was like others where no offers occurred so I bid a significant discount price that was only a little over scrap value that was immediately accepted. I have so far not had an offer refused. So do not be discouraged by high asking price.
    But also do not waste efforts trying unreasonable offers. art b.Name:  $_57.jpg3.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  228.8 KBName:  $_573XF2DCZS.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  206.3 KBName:  $_57.jpg2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  189.7 KB
    Last edited by artb; February 18th, 2014 at 13:43.
    Paleotime and LoveSexAndDrugs like this.

Re: A fine mc gold 18 size 1894 Waltham hunter case from fine dealer

Hi Art,

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    ...Typical original arrangement with cheap model 83 movement in very fine thick Solidarity case.
    Due to American practice to combine case and movement individually, it is actually typical to find a pedestrian movement in a valuable case, or vice versa. Most people couldn't afford the top of both. But yours is reasonably above typical arrangements. The movement is likely a No.15, not the top of the line, but it has all: precision regulator, screwed settings, jewels where usefull. So it is far from the bottom of the line with none of these features.

.... heirloom showing no surface wear and a cut in thick bow to prove solid gold.
    Thats why I still prefer gold watches despite the high gold price. They were used on Sundays if not less, and after decades or even centuries they are still technically and visually in best shape.

...so I bid a significant discount price that was only a little over scrap value that was immediately accepted.
    Professionall sellers know of course the situation due to the high gold price. And experienced collectors follow a simple calculation. If they must pay $200 for a mint watch with gilt case, they can also pay $200 more than scrap value for the equivalent with gold case.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Agree totally with Ro Ran as usual. A friend bought at National NAWCC Mart a 5 oz. gold cased watch. Will show photo soon. Here a biggest and finest I know of platinum swan. My best mc. shown a few times here before. Certainly not 5 oz. Anyone show other big ones here? art b.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; February 20th, 2014 at 12:23.
    LoveSexAndDrugs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Whenever I see pocket watches like that, I can only gaze in awe.....

What a shame that the art of making these has been all but lost. And how much more criminal does it make those who trash these cases for their mere gold content?!

Hartmut Richter

FOUND 1891 catalog page copy for this case. 60 penny weight for 14k. $129. 65 pw for 18k. So 60/20 is 3 troy oz. A little lighter than I valued, so about 1/3 more than scrap value. O'Hara dial and condition easily justify my over estimated cost. Also for large single diamond as shown above. orginal case price $100 more. art b.
    Last edited by artb; February 22nd, 2014 at 11:15.

Thread Information