Finish on vintage IWC case?

Thread: Finish on vintage IWC case?

Finish on vintage IWC case?

I'll try here first, since the IWC guys seem more about contemporary stuff...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323292540.823942.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  85.2 KB

Does anyone have a similar IWC with the original finish on the case? I think the flat surrounding area against the crystal is polished? Are the lugs circular brush or vertical? Are the sides polished or brushed?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Finish on vintage IWC case?

Hi there,

many manufacturers used the fried egg sunny side up design beginning in the late 60s, and I guess I've never seen anything but polished area around the crystal and the rest vertically brushed. IWC was no ecxeption; here some examples:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

I have seen the circular brush on the Movado below, which is either original or masterfully refinished.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323314812.913857.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  82.6 KB

Hard to see, but the bezel is polished and the lugs have a circular brush finish. Note: I no longer own this watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great looking IWC watch you have, I know some omegas did certain brushed designs but think this cant be down right without the right machine. Also try doing a google search on 60s IWC and pick images at the side of the search this will help in finding out what others were like.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Great looking IWC watch you have, I know some omegas did certain brushed designs but think this cant be down right without the right machine. Also try doing a google search on 60s IWC and pick images at the side of the search this will help in finding out what others were like.
    The factory brushed finish is nearly impossible to reproduce. I just try to get close, using the abrasive blocks found at a beauty supply store. They are about an inch square and four inches long, obviously designed for fingernail finishing. They come in different coarseness, and they're easy to handle due to the size. I don't get much grain, but it does make it satin-finish as opposed to polished.

I'm never sure which google images reflect the original finish. I just went with vertical.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323585420.117398.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  62.7 KB

Admittedly hard to see in this old gen iPhone pic.

Nice work! Do you have an online source for the abrasive blocks?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Nice work! Do you have an online source for the abrasive blocks?
    I do not. I looked them up to find out they are called nail sanding blocks. They are for manicures? Someone on the forum recommended them. If you don't have a local beauty supply store, I guess just search nail sanding blocks on the Internet. They're cheap, like way under a dollar each. I got coarse, medium and fine, but even the coarse one doesn't show any grain.

you can also use scotchpad or even buy a scratch pen

Thread Information