First Gruen designed pocket watches

Thread: First Gruen designed pocket watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Gruen designed pocket watches

I am quite sure about these 2 recent cheap ebay bargains. The keywind which is all original, runs, perfect dial, missing plate screw is first Columbus Gruen design with 15j. 1883. The other about 1885 is first lever set adjusted railroad grade. Not original, but proper Deuber case. Dietrich Gruen started Columbus about 1876 at age 21 with Swiss made movements up to about 20,000 serial numbers. Any disagreements or comments very welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; November 21st, 2010 at 12:32.

Re: First Gruen designed pocket watches

I just want to say how much I love these informational posts on Columbus and of course Gruen. These watches you have are a treat and I appreciate you sharing them with us.

P.S. the regulator screw on the second RR is quite interesting.

Fine pieces of Early American watch history, and great pics.
    It's interesting to see these full plate movements with their distinctive,
    round balance cock seat. I love those finely pierced hands on the second
    watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I just want to say how much I love these informational posts on Columbus and of course Gruen. These watches you have are a treat and I appreciate you sharing them with us.

P.S. the regulator screw on the second RR is quite interesting.
    You are too polite. I need to replace that screw that should be like the older one. There are tiny teeth on the adjuster scale and the screw turns a tooth wheel to move the regulator arm. Cheaper versions do not have it. I like old Gruens as a collectible. With the exception of Edward Howard the only individual personality of long term influence with U.S. watch innovation were the Gruens. Also auction bidding is cheap or nonexistent. Past year got 10 with either no competing bid or well discounted buy-it-now. My only ebay activity.

Radger: I have accumulated quite reasonably in less than a year a considerable Gruen p.w. variety mainly from Ebay because of not being really a popular collectible. I have been fussy about condition and rarity, but these last 2 are hard to find, appeared at same time, so the 2 complete for under $250 my collection of Gruen designed or manufactured examples 1883-1940.
    Last edited by artb; November 25th, 2010 at 17:42.

Art those are nice early Columbus watches. I wouldn't mind finding a nice early Model 1 like you have there. Have you yet collected some of the earliest Swiss movement (below s/n 20.000) as well?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks in part to your influence, I managed to pick up a Madrestch movement the other day for $60. Now trying to find your post where you described what that meant...it has a nice poised lever on it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Erik: As you know the first Columbus products were from Aeby, Swiss who was trained by Grossman at same time as D. Gruen. I am not sure if Gruen had much influence on his design. I am not looking for one , but might buy one. Notice that Gruen's patent 1874 safety pinion is marked on them. This a stemwinder 1880?

EDIT: Saw this in ebay this morning. Opening bid price $75. One bidder. So I went for it and not sure what I am getting for $81. Typical Columbus and Gruen lack of enthusiastic buyers. Not U.S. case size but close so probably not a Gruen design except for safety pinion. Right original case and dial and runs.

Last edited by artb; November 23rd, 2010 at 06:19.

Ab: Guess you know those Aeby, Madretsch movements fit in any U.S. cases. My 16s is in a Keystone case, but the expensive rare 0 size in a Gruen made case. They also did 6s and 12s and the movements all look the same with same precision escapements I call Grossmann. Hard to find a good original cased one under $400. and I think superior to most U.S. similar movements of the 1904-20 time. The best 21j early Veri-thin 10s used same chronometer balance and escapement and were named Extra Precision .

Last edited by artb; November 23rd, 2010 at 02:00.

Mine has a jobber dial (although it still says "Gruen" just above the seconds) and looks like a 16s, but its a recase (hunter movement in an OF case). Still, its a nice looking movement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information