First Hamilton Military

Thread: First Hamilton Military

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Hamilton Military

Hey All:

Thought I'd share some pics of my first Hamilton Military. There were issues with the slotted stem on my 52 Haddon, so I exchanged it with the dealer for this lovely timepiece.

This watch clearly has been well rested for many years and I am glad to add it to my collection.
    http://zemals.com/usn_buships.htm

I also acquired a 55 Hamilton Auto K400. Like all Hamilton Autos, this boosts a rather ordinary swiss auto movement. But I fell in love with the watch and had to have it in my collection.
    http://zemals.com/k400.htm

I bring it to my watchmaker next week for some adjustments.

thanx for letting me share.

scott

Re: First Hamilton Military

Thanks for sharing the pics of these two fine timepieces.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

Beautiful Hamiltons! That first one in particular, especially the face of the dial, is in really pristine condition. Congratulations!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Any fan of King Crimson is alright by me:)

The Auto is a well preserved litely worn watch.

The military has NOS dial, which I can't stop staring at...plus the dealer provided me with those photos v my meager photography skill.

I got it on Thursday and have not worn another watch since...my Polerouter might be angry, as the other vintage classics.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

It may be a NOS dial, but its is the correct style for a military Hamilton, as are the hands. Excellent piece.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    It may be a NOS dial, but its is the correct style for a military Hamilton, as are the hands. Excellent piece.
    thank you so much for your kind words.

I have not stopped staring at or wearing this time piece and like all of us I have too many too choose from.

scott

Your Hamilton military looks like a fake...

The case, crown and dial look typical of the chinese made copies currently been sold on eBay. Since you haven't posted a picture of the case back, I am not 100% certain. The fakes have USN engraved on the back, not heavy stamping like the original. Post a scan of the back and I can tell you for certain if it is indeed a fake. Some of the fakes that I've seen don't even have the correct movement. Your example should have a Grade 987A, nothing else. I've seen and handled enough and to know when one just doesn't look right. The profiles on that case are different than any other legit WWII Keystone case and the crown is totally wrong which in and of itself doesn't make the watch a fake but that crown is usually sold with that fake case. Also, the Hamilton field watches of WWII had cases without that little extra step in the bezel. That was typical of the Elgin field watch. I've seen more and more sellers selling these US WWII military issued watches and they say that they only "up-dated" the watches with NOS parts. That is an out right lie. They buy old movements and case them in chinese made cases, with chinese made dials and handsets and call them military issued? I don't think so...and sometimes they don't even use the proper movement. Please post a picture of the case back or send it to me by email.

Best,

James

Re: Your Hamilton military looks like a fake...

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro_Assi_Kid View Post
    The case, crown and dial look typical of the chinese made copies currently been sold on eBay. Since you haven't posted a picture of the case back, I am not 100% certain. The fakes have USN engraved on the back, not heavy stamping like the original. Post a scan of the back and I can tell you for certain if it is indeed a fake. Some of the fakes that I've seen don't even have the correct movement. Your example should have a Grade 987A, nothing else. I've seen and handled enough and to know when one just doesn't look right. The profiles on that case are different than any other legit WWII Keystone case and the crown is totally wrong which in and of itself doesn't make the watch a fake but that crown is usually sold with that fake case. Also, the Hamilton field watches of WWII had cases without that little extra step in the bezel. That was typical of the Elgin field watch. I've seen more and more sellers selling these US WWII military issued watches and they say that they only "up-dated" the watches with NOS parts. That is an out right lie. They buy old movements and case them in chinese made cases, with chinese made dials and handsets and call them military issued? I don't think so...and sometimes they don't even use the proper movement. Please post a picture of the case back or send it to me by email.

Best,

James
    Thanx. I hope not. I will try to take some pics this week.

Btw, the link is for what I am assuming can't be a fake, as it is just in horrible condition.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-MIL...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamilton-USN-Bus...QQcmdZViewItem
    The back and stepping on the case appear in pics identical to my watch. Any thoughts?

scott
    Last edited by scottw44; November 13th, 2006 at 04:38. Reason: add link

I think you are right.

I wonder if Bill is correct?.

I had a most interesting exchange with the seller, who refused to answer the questions directly and said something about my "reading comprehension."

The link to the watch is below....you be the judge...I hope we are wrong but I am worried to say the least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&ss...0044154230&rd=1 &rd=1
    Last edited by scottw44; November 13th, 2006 at 14:28. Reason: poorly written

If your watch is the watch in that eBay link, then yes it is a fake. That seller is one of the worst ones (but not the worst) on eBay for selling fakes. The cases, dials and handsets he uses are not NOS but in fact copies made in China. Fortuantely, for seasoned collectors, they are fairly easy to spot. The profiles on the case are slightly different than the real orginal examples. The dials, I don't know how to describe it, I can just look at one and know it is a fake. I guess it comes with many years of collecting and handling the real stuff for so long. The hands, I have no way of telling if they are fake, they are that close. I've emailed that particular seller before and told him that the cases and dials he is using are modern copies made in china and he basically told me he knew but didn't care because he still sold them and no one complained. I told him the reason no one complained is that most people didn't know better and he was setting these people up for diappointment down the road. He used to include photos of the movements until I started emailing the bidders and pointing out that the watches he was selling weren't ever the correct movements for US military issued watches. He would install everything from Grade 987 to 987F in his watches. The only sub-second field watch movement for a WWII Hamilton is a G-987A for US Army or USN. The USMC did use the G-747 in the early 1950s. Until people become more educated in US military issued watches, you will have these sellers taking advantage of buyers. This is one of the main reasons that I am working on a book on the subject.

Best,

James D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information