First Hamilton in my collection
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By LoveSexAndDrugs
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: First Hamilton in my collection

First Hamilton in my collection

I've finally made the step from the mediocre watches with bulk made movements to something with a bit more history. Definetly this is not a Patek or Rolex but I will eventually get there.

It does need some love as the dial has some corrosion. Fortunately the movement is in vgc. I will probably have the crystal replaced as it has some deep scratches. Came very dirty as you can see. A cape cod cloth made wonders and now is shining as new. too bad the back got some scratches and I add another one as my tool slipped. I guess who closed the lid went swimming cuz it was like glued..

Now... it has a 21j cal64 inside and it looks to me like and Accumatic A509 from 68 but is not quite the same. Also I was wondering if the bracelet is original or at least from the same period. Found couple of ads with simmilar straps but for other watch models.

Ive tried to clean the dial with Rodico and some yellow-ish colour came off however the spots are still there. I guess ill keep my eyes open for a replacement dial thought might take years. Keeping good time so far but the marks inside the lid points out a 2007 date which I am guessing it was probably when the watch was last time serviced. As this was a 25 years present for somebody I will try to find it's history.

This is how it came like:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; August 13th, 2014 at 21:37.

Re: First Hamilton in my collection

Re-facing is always an option, but for now I think it looks good! I like watches that show their age, they all don't have to be perfect.
    Nice find. I like the band as well.

Not for me. I don't like redials. On the contrary I believe that some patina brings more history to the watch. Unfortunately this is not quite even and those dots... :/ But yes for the moment priority is changing the crystal as I don't want any moist to get through those cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    Re-facing is always an option, but for now I think it looks good! I like watches that show their age, they all don't have to be perfect.
    Nice find. I like the band as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is good to have Hamiltons in ones collections, I have 6 or 7, all great pieces.
    Try to look for better quality, they are out there at reasonable prices as are Waltham and Elgin

Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Honestly I wasn't expecting to win it as my bid was quite low. Even thought dial is not in a very good shape it keeps perfect time. Can't really miss such an opportunity for a bargain. After it gets cleaned up and serviced I will post an after picture. Who knows.. maybe one day I will grab a better dial.. patience is the key.

Any chance to find what model is this? ive searched all over the web but I can't find an original ad for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    It is good to have Hamiltons in ones collections, I have 6 or 7, all great pieces.
    Try to look for better quality, they are out there at reasonable prices as are Waltham and Elgin

Adam

Absolutely "patience is the key"
    To find out exact model, post here, the Hamilton experts without doubt:
    Vintage Watch Forums • View forum - Hamilton Watch Forum
    LoveSexAndDrugs likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

oh thanks.. somehow I skipped that even thought I knew about it. Ironically I had the photo database in my bookmarks :)
    Vintage Watch Forums • View topic - Master Photo Thread

Thread Information