First Omega pocket watch purchases.. both 38.5 cal. 1 military, 1 deco... Fake or real??

Thread: First Omega pocket watch purchases.. both 38.5 cal. 1 military, 1 deco... Fake or real??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Omega pocket watch purchases.. both 38.5 cal. 1 military, 1 deco... Fake or real??

Hello Gents,
    These are my first Pocket Watch purchases.. Both Omega, Both with a 38.5 L.T1 caliber movement. 1 dates to 1939 (I think) - case serial No. and 1 is military?

I am really dont know much about pocket watches, but recently bought both of these as i liked the look of them. But are they genuine?

The 1939 one shows signs of age and also needs some TLC. It runs well (a bit fast) when upright, but stops when lay down.. the Balance wheel seems loose... is it worth fixing??

The Military watch with stamped back just looks too clean. There was a healthy build up of dirt on the rim of the case back and crystal when removed. However, the dial shows minor wear as do the hands. The hands have signs of the lume turning brown, but its mostly green.. is this right??
    The seller of this watch has guaranteed its genuine and said they had it checked out by their local jewellers.

Pics:

And the military watch:

Any info/comments you have would be much appreciated... Slightly worried i paid more than i should have for these.........
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: First Omega pocket watch purchases.. both 38.5 cal. 1 military, 1 deco... Fake or real

The first one would date to 1935 or so according to my reference. The second one would be about 1944. However the second one has received new lume to hands and digits. For the military caseback markings someone else will have to reply.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: First Omega pocket watch purchases.. both 38.5 cal. 1 military, 1 deco... Fake or real

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    The first one would date to 1935 or so according to my reference. The second one would be about 1944. However the second one has received new lume to hands and digits. For the military caseback markings someone else will have to reply.

Thanks Erik... So you think real?... from looking up case serial numbers, 9,000,000 dates to 1939, thats why i thought this. What did you use to get 1935? if you dont mind me asking!? thanks
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here we go again about "Omega" movement serial numbers.According to "Omega" official site,first one is produced between 1926. and 1934.,closer to 1934. I would say.Second one is produced 1944. or 1945.Looks like British mil. officialy issued watch,but you should check that numbers.Try "mwrforum".
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

9 million is 1939 from some lists, including late expert Chuck Maddox, Shugart says the same. You are probably right that the first one is closer to 1939 than 1935 with its 8633553 serial number.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Banned

fakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    But are they genuine?
    Counterfeiting - in general - seems to be reserved for more "valuable" items.

Thanks JZoom and Erik.. well, the 1934-39? watch does have a loose balance wheel... is this expensive to resolve.. or worth it??

I am also glad to see the no one is doubting the originality of the Military omega... it does look very nice and is running well (bit quick). Where can i find out what Y27762 means? is this just an issue number? can i find out who? when? it was issued from this number??

Thanks again

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    watch does have a loose balance wheel... is this expensive to resolve.. or worth it?? Thanks again
    Maybe a balance staff or perhaps even a hole jewel. Niether one is a "big" thing in and of its self - assuming the staff can be sourced and doesn't have to be cut.

Could you report back with the costs? I am curious what the prevailing prices are in your area. Thanks!

For the military part try our Pilots and Military Watches forum here on WUS. Some of the experts there help out here sometimes. We also have a common moderator.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by enough View Post
    Maybe a balance staff or perhaps even a hole jewel. Niether one is a "big" thing in and of its self - assuming the staff can be sourced and doesn't have to be cut.

Could you report back with the costs? I am curious what the prevailing prices are in your area. Thanks!
    Will let you know!

Erik, i might post the original thread on the military forum.. Thanks

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information