First pocket watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lothianjavert

Thread: First pocket watch

First pocket watch

Recently I've become smitten with pocket watches. A bit awkward as I often wear skirts and never wear a waistcoat. However, they have intrigued me since I was a child and would occasionally come across one at an antique store. My desire was a Hamilton 940- 18s, 21 jewels. However the 940 and 992 both sell for a few times what I can manage if they are in OK condition. (Lancaster is local, so that is also part of my attraction to Hamilton) Instead of a Hamilton, this is my first watch. A Burlington (Illinois) 19 jewel 16s watch. It has a couple hairlines and the case has some wear. So far, it keeps great time. I'll need to save up a bit (and find a place that will do pocket watches) to send it out for proper service. My husband doesn't understand my affection for watches, let alone pocket watches. Or fountain pens (they started me on this journey!). I still plan on that Hamilton one day. And maybe a few others.

bsshog40 and SilkeN like this.

Re: First pocket watch

Unfortunately I don't know something about american watches but this is a start with a nice one on a very good level. I fear you've to change sometimes skirt to trousers or wear little bags like on a cilt . Ladys watches are better wearable with a dress but for a person like me who don't sit still and work physically its not practicable. If you look carefully especially in america, you can find as an addition also ladys watches with very high quality movements. They are often underrated.

Its normal that the surrounding don't understand any special collection tick, if they are not infectet. Keep calm and may be the day come and your husband starts to ask you on his own.

Kind regards Silke and good luck
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information