First post, first watch. Pictures inside!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By powasky

Thread: First post, first watch. Pictures inside!

First post, first watch. Pictures inside!

Hey guys-

Picked up my first watch yesterday, a 1928 Bulova. I'm not sure which model it is; mybulova doesn't have the exact case . I'd suspect it might be a President? It's a 17 jewel, 9AT movement. The face is beautiful, as are the case and movement...it looks absolutely pristine. The celluloid cover over the movement is intact, and the numbers and hands still illuminate. These are the best images I could snap in a short period of time. Any idea of what it's worth? I'm afraid to say what I paid, knowing it was probably too much.

EDIT- I'm also looking for a new strap for it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by powasky; June 25th, 2011 at 23:22.
    Popoki Nui likes this.

Re: First post, first watch. Pictures inside!

Looks great!! For sure the dial is refinished, especially since the numerals are glowing. Enjoy your purchase!! Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Very nice

Yeah the dial is redone, but most will have no problem if it is a good job. As with most forums, discussing value is against policy, so just enjoy it.

You may be able to figure out the age using this chart to identify a mark on the movement:
    Name:  bulova_chart.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  138.8 KB

My guess would before 1930.
    Ron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Very nice

That's a very nice watch you have. I like this style very much!

Some useful tips about hard enamel dials...

First of all this is a great watch and this is indeed the PRESIDENT model in one of its earlier versions.

I would like to share some of my professional experience relating to my dial refinishing business with the readers. What is normally correct, in terms of good vs. bad in original vs. refinished dial does not apply here in the classic way.

The early BULOVA models, both men and ladies are made of SILVER, as opposed to later and most dials, made of brass. Silver is a better basis for what is known in the industry as HARD ENAMEL print. Which means the print you see on this dial is indeed THE original one and not a refinished one. It is as hard as glass (I will not get to the know-how of the making process for obvious reasons) but in other words your dial is basically a cleaned ALL ORIGINAL dial, with the only exception that a Super-Luminova non toxic material is applied instead of the radioactive Radium that was there. So only the luminous numerals are new and done pretty well too.

In terms of refinishing those dials, despite the fact the print is already there, it is equally complicated to PRESERVE it, so that does not mean the work is easier.

So a few tips about hard enamel silver based dials and how to find them:

1. Scratch the dial with a knife on its side. If the metal shows silver tone, it is most likely silver, most dials will show brass tone.
    2. The dial may be very dirty with all kinds of tone but if the print is COMPLETE and undamaged, this may well be hard enamel.
    3. Normal black print has a satin texture, hard enamel print will be glossy and shiny.

These were 60 seconds about hard enamel dials :-D

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Yeah the dial is redone, but most will have no problem if it is a good job. As with most forums, discussing value is against policy, so just enjoy it.

You may be able to figure out the age using this chart to identify a mark on the movement:
    Name:  bulova_chart.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  138.8 KB

My guess would before 1930.
    Ron
    Thanks for this image. The marking is the 1930 one. How do I go about adjusting the watch for quickness or slowness? I see the lever inside with the F and S, but because I don't know anything about mechanical watches, am afraid to touch it. I also do not know how to remove the celluloid covering.

EDIT- The dial is indeed silver...I did the knife test. Cool to know that its original!

Very nice watch!! By your admission you don't know anything about mechanical watches; please shop around for a good, competent, qualified watchmaker and let him/her clean/service/adjust it for you. If you're a hands-on kinda guy who wants to learn basics like adjusting, get a bag full of cheapies at Value Village and practice on those. Your Bulova should get professional help.

~Sherry.

Quote Originally Posted by powasky View Post
    Thanks for this image. The marking is the 1930 one. How do I go about adjusting the watch for quickness or slowness? I see the lever inside with the F and S, but because I don't know anything about mechanical watches, am afraid to touch it. I also do not know how to remove the celluloid covering.

EDIT- The dial is indeed silver...I did the knife test. Cool to know that its original!
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

That info on the dials was great. I have noticed that the older Elgins and Bulovas along with many others have those silver dials, which clean up great. The enamel doesn't come off when you clean them. I will sometimes just use some toothpaste and water, and rub the dial with my fingers, with awesome results.

Here is a Bulova from 1930 that I picked up a few weeks ago. It has a different dial and hands (not sure if they would be the right hands), but the gold is still on the case. Your case may have had gold on it at one time.

Name:  old_bulova.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  113.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    That info on the dials was great. I have noticed that the older Elgins and Bulovas along with many others have those silver dials, which clean up great. The enamel doesn't come off when you clean them. I will sometimes just use some toothpaste and water, and rub the dial with my fingers, with awesome results.

Here is a Bulova from 1930 that I picked up a few weeks ago. It has a different dial and hands (not sure if they would be the right hands), but the gold is still on the case. Your case may have had gold on it at one time.

Name:  old_bulova.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  113.5 KB
    Any suggestions when it comes to bands?

welcome to the forum powasky, think you have had some great advice from these guys, me personally would just do the adjustment yourself f=faster s= slower just move the needle towards f if running slow etc but just move it in small steps, if running way off that will mean it needs a service. Has for the strap I always buy brown if the watch as any gold on it or the dial is cream or gold etc but if the watch as alot of black then i stick with a black strap. don't go to modern with the strap . Just look at RonD picture and look at the strap brown strap with gold case and the strap as a simple but old look to it which goes really well with RonD watch

Thread Information