First post + help determining if this LeCoultre dial has been refinished?

Thread: First post + help determining if this LeCoultre dial has been refinished?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First post + help determining if this LeCoultre dial has been refinished?

Hello all, and thanks for all the work you do to make WUS such a unique and vibrant resource.

I'm quite new to collecting but I've been quite fortunate to receive a 60s-era Jaeger LeCoultre from my father, and to pick up a second vintage JLC on my own recently. I have my eye on a third JLC-made watch — and thanks to WUS I'm now fully versed in the "Jaeger LeCoultre vs LeCoultre" distinction — but I'm not convinced fully that its 100% original. Might I be able to trouble you to eyeball the dial and let me know if it appears to have been refinished? (And if the picture isn't helpful, are there any tell-tale signs I might look for?)

Please see below — I'd be thankful for any insights.

Name:  lecoultre-dial.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  132.3 KB

I look forward to contributing to WUS more myself just as soon as I catch up on a few hundred years of horological history.

Re: First post + help determining if this LeCoultre dial has been refinished?

Hi and welcome.

There are much more knowledgeable members than me who can provide an opinion - but the fact that the word 'Swiss' is present at the very bottom of the dial is one indication of an original dial (hard, but not impossible, for refinishers to do).
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I think (no expert) if this had been refinished you would think the secs indexs would all be there. And most refinished dials look factory fresh. So from me looks orginal and would love a JLC in my collection......... may be one day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It can be hard to tell from a photo. What I would suggest is that you have a very close look at the minute markers which are painted on as well as the logo. Use a loupe (magnifying glass) and see how regularly spaced the minute markers are and how well they line up with the hour markers. For the logo check against confirmed logos. When this watch was made you may be sure that Le Coultre did not let it out into the retail market without a perfect dial. When dials are repainted the artists are often less careful and small mistakes are made which are not easily visible to the naked eye - do not of course mistake the effects of ageing and paint loss for poor painting!

Hi there

besides the naked fact that some 99% of all glossy black dials are refinished, I'd expect a better alignment of the print from LeCoultre.

I always wonder why people believe having got one of the 1%, despite a quality they would never accept on Chinese cheapies.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Beautiful watch with incredible lugs and imho original dial. But I also have a question thats off point. The poster mentions there are distinctions between Jaeger Le Coultre and plain Le Coultre. Whats up with that? I recently gave my deceased fathers JLC to my nephew, his grandson, upon his graduation from Law School. It had been lost for 25 years (dont ask) and needed some restoration and an overhaul, which my local watch guy did very reasonably.But now Im curious is there some distinction between JLC and LC? I had always thought there was 1 Jaeger Lecoultre period.
    Happy New Year
    Last edited by parrotandpitbull; January 3rd, 2012 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Beautiful watch with incredible lugs and imho original dial. But I also have a question thats off point. The poster mentions there are distinctions between Jaeger Le Coultre and plain Le Coultre. Whats up with that? I recently gave my deceased fathers JLC to my nephew, his grandson upon his graduation from Law School. It had been lost for 25 years (dont ask) and needed some restoration and an overhaul, which my local watch guy did very reasonably.But now Im curious is there some distinction between JLC and LC? I had always thought there was 1 Jaeger Lecoultre period.
    Happy New Year
    Sorry P&PB I'm with Roland on this one. I think it is a redial.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The company started as LeCoultre. It fused with the company of Edmond Jaeger in 1925. Thereafter, watches with only "LeCoultre" on the dial continued to be sold, mainly in the US.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks to all of you for the insights — upon reflection, I think it is a redial, but I am still puzzling over the fact that the second hand wasn't replaced/repaired. I'll pass on this one and keep an eye out for better buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there

besides the naked fact that some 99% of all glossy black dials are refinished, I'd expect a better alignment of the print from LeCoultre.

I always wonder why people believe having got one of the 1%, despite a quality they would never accept on Chinese cheapies.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Sometimes black dials don't photograph well. I'd need to see it in person to express an opinion, but it looks pretty good to me. Now, about that crown...

Here's one of the 1%, for those "Occupy WatchUSeek" protestors:

The poster mentions there are distinctions between Jaeger Le Coultre and plain Le Coultre. Whats up with that?
    But now Im curious is there some distinction between JLC and LC? I had always thought there was 1 Jaeger Lecoultre period.
    The LeCoultre brand was given to watches that were specifically made for the US market. There was a US company called Longines-Wittnauer, Inc. that imported LeCoultre and Vacheron & Constantin watches from Switzerland. Many LeCoultres (particularly those in 14K gold and gold-filled) had US made watch cases.

Generally, movements on LeCoultre watches were made by Jaeger-LeCoultre in Switzerland. The importers also employed US watchmakers to make any necessary adjustment to avoid customs duties on adjusted watch movements. That's why the movement are inscribed as "Unadjusted" and the cases say "Cased and Timed by LeCoultre".

Some LeCoultre watches had movements made by other Swiss manufacturers, so one does need to be careful.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; January 5th, 2012 at 19:39.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information