First production Verithin p.w.?

Thread: First production Verithin p.w.?

First production Verithin p.w.?

Shown here is lowest earliest serial number I have seen on Gruen Verithin. Movement marked only Swiss, Verithin, adjusted, 122551. Looks a little like an Aeby job, not Gruen, but inferior quality to Aeby Madretsches that have numbers starting 125k. Lowest I have seen is 126k on Mad. 0 size 1907 engraved gift. Because of low number I am inclined to think it is first production design of the famous Verithin. Case is odd with hinge front and double hinge back. Permanent Gold Fill marked. Dial seen on other early Verithins. Why hinge the front glass?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 23rd, 2011 at 20:48.

Re: First production Verithin p.w.?

Wow Art, you are getting to be quite the Gruen/Columbus expert! WE WANT A BOOK!!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I'll have to agree with the notion of a book. I'd like to know where artb and trim get all of their information or at least have it compiled into a database of some sort. I had enough trouble finding any info on my Gruen, but then trim came along and put me in the right direction.

Anway, neat Gruen, artb. I specifically like the placement of the Gruen/Verithin logos. It is a bit different than mine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Wow Art, you are getting to be quite the Gruen/Columbus expert! WE WANT A BOOK!!!
    There are many definitions for expert. It is too easy to be an expert when no one really can be because of loss of history. I have looked at many examples and acquired a bunch in the last year choosing odd ones so have gained a little insight that is mostly unsupportable personal opinion. One reason why I have listed so much here and in NAWCC Forum. Have had opinions changed many times by individuals
    and watch examples in last year. However, it is fun to attempt sorting out the Gruen p.w. situation. Leaving the w.w. to others. My now long list of serial numbers combined with lists from a couple others may eventually be useful. Anyone generous with Gruen p.w. (so called serial) number list and knowledge report here or to [email protected]. I promise to make anything useful public.

Lucky to get same first Verithin 122555 as 122551 that has original Gruen gold case. So nicer 551 will be transfered to gold case. Seller's poor photos. These 2 must have been made same time. Should movement transfer not be done?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Lucky to get same first Verithin 122555 as 122551 that has original Gruen gold case. So nicer 551 will be transfered to gold case. Seller's poor photos. These 2 must have been made same time. Should movement transfer not be done?
    Jeepers, reading your posts it would seem the market is filled with early Gruens, but I know
    how rare these are, well done on tracking these down.

It must be tempting to swap these movements and put the best movement in the best case.
    Apart from originality issues I think that any movement in a gold case is going to be at risk from
    the scrapman in the future when we are gone and have no say in the matter.

Art since you ask I say no switch. 50 years from now collectors coming after us will appreciate any decision we make now to keep watches original. Proefessional gold scrappers don't give much consideration to good/bad movement anyway.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I will first find out from a couple really good restorers whats involved to improve. The unmarked dial may be an old replacement?

Thread Information