First Vintage! 1957 Bulova Condition?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Vintage! 1957 Bulova Condition?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Vintage! 1957 Bulova Condition?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of vintage watches, as I've been researching them for a few months now but have yet to make my first purchase.
    I'll be keeping my first purchase fairly small, but I wanted to see what you guys think of one of my potential selections.

Here is the watch I'm looking at presently: 1957 Bulova, Automatic

Could I get some of your impressions on the watch? How does the condition look? Should I be concerned about the "marbled" aging of the dial?
    It looks good to me, but I don't have the eye for details like over-polishing (of which I personally can see none).

Also, if anyone can identify the watch, that would be amazing! I checked on MyBulova.com, but can't seem to find this model.

Many thanks, in advance!
    Last edited by NorthernEnd; December 5th, 2013 at 09:44.

Re: First Vintage! 1957 Bulova Condition?

Hi and welcome
    That is an OK looking watch, and in my opinion all 100% original and correct.
    I love the 'B' inscribed on the rotor
    Yes that is an OK buy if you like it
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi and welcome
    That is an OK looking watch, and in my opinion all 100% original and correct.
    I love the 'B' inscribed on the rotor
    Yes that is an OK buy if you like it
    I thought it looked like the hour markers at 3, 5, 7, and 11 weren't aligned properly with the painted minute markings on either side of them, but I may just be bringing Omega redial phobia along when it shouldn't be there. Otherwise it is a really nice Bulova automatic.

Edit: after taking a closer look, the crosshair on the dial is perfectly aligned, so maybe i'm just seeing things...
    Last edited by M.Stanton; December 5th, 2013 at 14:40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The price seems a little steep to me but that is probable an uncommon model. I believe it is a Bulova Argonaut. Look on the MyBulova ads from the 50s and do a CTRL+F for Argonaut and it is in the lower right of the picture. I cant upload pictures from my laptop for some reason.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by M.Stanton View Post
    I thought it looked like the hour markers at 3, 5, 7, and 11 weren't aligned properly with the painted minute markings on either side of them, but I may just be bringing Omega redial phobia along when it shouldn't be there. Otherwise it is a really nice Bulova automatic.

Edit: after taking a closer look, the crosshair on the dial is perfectly aligned, so maybe i'm just seeing things...
    I think its all correct.
    The distress on the dial is perfect and implies no rework.
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I agree the price seems steep. especially since it's not serviced, which it should be upon purchase. That's likely to run you $150. If you want to find the likely value, check Ebay for a while. Tons of vintage Bulovas are listed there at all times, and you can also check 'Completed Listings' to see what recent listings went for.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Wow, thank you guys so much for your input!

Yes, it definitely looks like the Bulova Argonaut to me as well, and I've decided to ask the seller if the watch has been serviced recently, just in case he forgot to mention it (though it doesn't seem like the type of detail one would overlook...)
    The price put me off as well, since I've seen a -ton- of vintage Bulovas in decent condition on eBay for less, and research is my friend. I'm going to wait on word from him before I make my decision.

Can't thank you guys enough.

That's a good idea, the price is high plus another $150 or so for a service and any parts it may need. You could do much better on the Bay, maybe even buy a few for that much.
    --Charlie

Apparently the watch has been serviced, but not within the last year. I'm told that it holds time to within well under a minute over a 24-hour period. Does this sound like a reasonable justification for the added cost? I've not seen any other instances of this model being sold, so I'm also beginning to think that it's a rare bird.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernEnd View Post
    Apparently the watch has been serviced, but not within the last year. I'm told that it holds time to within well under a minute over a 24-hour period. Does this sound like a reasonable justification for the added cost? I've not seen any other instances of this model being sold, so I'm also beginning to think that it's a rare bird.
    So if it wasn't serviced this year then when was it serviced? Last year? or 5-10 years ago? Do they have a receipt? If it was recently serviced by a professional it would've been timed and should be keeping time a little better. I still think you can do better.
    --Charlie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information