First vintage on a budget
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: First vintage on a budget

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First vintage on a budget

Hello!

I'd like a vintage watch, specifically a dress watch (34mm-38mm), with a (rose)gold (plated) case and if possible Roman numerals. Been learning about the eBay 'hunt'.

I'm on a budget, preferably under £200, or max £300. Doesn't have to be super special or in amazing shape.

Timex Marlin has been recommended, a great little dress watch well in my budget.
    Seen some Swiss on eBay too, like Raymond Weil (though generally <34mm) or Oris.

Anybody have some vintage dress watch brands/models recommendations?
    Last edited by john_marston; 6 Days Ago at 04:03.

Re: First vintage on a budget

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a vintage gold watch in that price range.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I agree with Dan and I think you will need to up your budget .

I would look at Longines manual wind movements , you can sometimes get lucky with these !

Cyma made some great dress watches back in the 50s and 60s , you can get a nice example for not alot of money.

Just to be clear i dont think you will find solid gold case for anywhere near your budget ! Gold plate will be more likely . Unless you get really lucky . You will also probably have to get a service done, as at the lower price point its a real gamble if the watch makes it to your door without breaking !

Anything with a ETA movement will be good to buy and look after ( service ) , so I would search for brands that used these movements throughout the various decades .

Enjoy the research and Dont rush into it .
    john_marston likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You will occasionally find a good quality Swiss movement in a nationally-produced 9k gold case, but still not for 300 GBP.
    john_marston likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    I think you're going to have a hard time finding a vintage gold watch in that price range.
    Oh sorry I wasn't clear: I'm not looking for solid gold. Plated or even just coloured stainless steel is absolutely fine!

Gonna have a look at Longine and Cyma and ETA movements :)

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If you are willing to accept a gold plated watch with a decent but generic movement, have a look at what I spent only ca. 100 Euros on (on my wrist as I am typing this):

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/19...c-4883411.html

I got it for ca. 20 Euros and spent ca. 80 on the service. Sure, that was at a time when bargains were more readily available on fleabay but if you wait and spend your time searching, you should be able to do nearly as well. Good luck.

Hartmut Richter
    john_marston and SunnyOrange like this.

yeah that's very nice! Looking for something similar. Though Swiss would be nice.

Hi,

I found some 18k solid gold Longines for this budget, but it was more than 10yrs ago... I don't think it's really possible today, unless you go for a really obscure/overlooked brand, like Mira, Ogival, Repco, etc. Even then, this budget will only buy you a watch that most likely will be unwearable, because vintage watches, especially those not looking very good, always need a good service, so you should add at least 100£ (or even 200£ if you buy an automatic) to your budget.
    If you step up just a little, in the 300-400£ range, I think you could find a massive gold Tissot (I remember seeing some on the bay). Tissot is my number one recommandation for beginners. There's so many you can easily find what flavor suits you most, and their movements, while far from the best in terms of finish, are still of quite good quality, sturdy and quite reliable. With patience, you can even find a higher quality Tissot with an Omega or Lemania movement inside.

But I would stay away from anything Timex or Oris...
    Last edited by 707mm2; 6 Days Ago at 02:04.
    john_marston likes this.

Again, don't need solid gold. I'll change my OP haha.

Ah yeah Tissot is a good one! I'll see if I can find something decent. Didn't know Oris had a bad rep..

Didn't know Oris had a bad rep.
    It's not really their reputation which keeps me away but their value. Vintage (before the 1970s) Oris were mostly cheap pin pallet watches. Sure, they were the best of pin pallet watches, but nonetheless inferior to classic jeweled anchor movements. But today their market value is way higher than it should be, sometimes way higher than some really fine watches. So for a similar price, you'll end up with much better watches from other lesser known/overlooked brands.
    This is why I recommend Tissot : the quality of their products remained pretty consistent over the years, with relatively few workhorse movements, so it's hard to make a big mistake. With other brands, especially when you start, it can get much more hazardous.

If gold plated is ok to you, then you have a perfect budget. You can find a fine watch for less than a 100£ and have a sufficient budget left to get it nicely serviced.
    john_marston likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information