First Vintage Diver watch, Mortima
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By WatchIdiotSavant94

Thread: First Vintage Diver watch, Mortima

First Vintage Diver watch, Mortima

I posted this in the diver forum but then realized it might be better suited here.

Iím a newbie, first time posting here. Iíve been window shopping for months to figure out what I like and want in a ďrealĒ wrist watch. Well Iíve decided for an everyday watch I would like a diver, then I decided why buy a micro brand when I can go vintage! I can buy 2 or 3 older divers for the same price as a new micro brand, true they will need to be serviced where as the micro will not right out the gate but I am more of a vintage guy( have owned & used pocket watches for years, all at least 100 years old).

SO what you guys think of a Mortima Plongee as a first vintage diver watch? Iím asking regarding quality, not how it looks because the only opinion that matters regarding that is me :>) but regards to the quality, the build, would it be a good buy? How much is too much for it?
    if your really interested in seeing the watch itís at catawiki auctions:

I canít put the link here cuz itís my first post but if you go to Catawiki and search : 14238981

Is the movement weak? Is it common? I live in Colorado, would it be difficult to get it serviced?

Can I buy better quality with the same amount of money? I donít know how to rate quality so you tell me if I should hold off and wait for a better more bang for my buck buy. THANKS GUYS!!!

thank you so much for the help guiding me along the path of this awesome addiction

Re: First Vintage Diver watch, Mortima

Here is the link: https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/...-men-1970-1979

This is an entry-level chrome-plated diver-style watch. These were extremely common in the 1970s and you can find many threads about them on this forum. Many manufacturers capitalized on the popularity of diver watches to make entry-level watches with a dive watch look, but without actual dive watch features. In particular, they have plated cases (with no significant depth rating), cheap movements, etc. You can find watches like these all over eBay for less than $100. They are not really collectible, but if you like the way it looks, there's no harm in buying it to wear occasionally. However, the quality is generally low, so personally, I would think twice before spending money on a service, and you may or may not get a lot of wear out of it. Instead, if I had a watch like this, I would probably treat is as a fun disposable item.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, you cannot buy a real vintage diver in the price range you seem to be considering (i.e. <$100). In that price range, you're definitely better off sticking with a modern quartz watch. In fact, I'm finding it hard to find a decent vintage diver watch (I mean a real diver watch with a 200m+ depth rating, SS case, quality movement, etc.), for less than $200 these days, and even those are likely to be very small by modern standards.
    Last edited by badbackdan; November 6th, 2017 at 00:06.
    timesofplenty likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Ok very good, thank you Dan! This is exact the info I was looking for. Thank you so much! I look forward to learning more and eventually finding and buying my first watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have any suggestions for me to look out for in the under $500 bracket, please let me know.

Here is a recent thread that has a lot of good contributions on this topic from many forum members.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ine...o-4529483.html

I noticed that you picked out a watch with a blue dial, so here are a couple on eBay to look at. Both are good quality legitimate diver watches.

The first one claims to be serviced, and if so, I think the price is actually not bad, especially considering the original bracelet. [Edit: On closer inspection, the bracelet is not correct for the watch.] The bezel and case are a little beat up, but the dial is unique (with a picture of a diver).

The second one has relumed hands but looks basically correct (dial, hands, crown, and bezel). Unfortunately there are no photos of the movement (I believe that these have solid quality ETA movements). You would either have to ask for that information, or take a chance on the watch and return it if you're not happy. The price is maybe a bit high, but these Mondaine models are becoming collectible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tressa-Vint...19.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mon...19.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by badbackdan; November 6th, 2017 at 04:24.

Dan thank you so much! I’ll be on the hunt! :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Dn2292 View Post
    Dan thank you so much! I’ll be on the hunt! :>)
    Good luck. Let us know if you have any questions. [I fixed the second link in my previous post.]

I think it would be pertinent to tell you that even if the movement is cheap and just pin lever, the Mortima Super Datomatic was equipped with an in-house movement - the Cattin C66. This watch, even if cheap, is a fun peculiarity with some history and a in-house movement.
    badbackdan likes this.
    Current collection:

2000 Chopard Mille Miglia Ref. 8331
    1970's Omega Dynamic Racing Dial
    1941 Universal GenŤve Compur Cal. 283
    1937 Landeron 47 Three-pusher Chronograph
    1960's Bulova Snorkel 666ft
    1968 Seiko Sportsmatic Ref. 7625-8233
    2018 Seiko 5 SNK807
    1970's Mortima SuperDatomatic
    2017 Vostok Amphibia
    1950's Longines Manual Wind Square Case
    1980's Vostok Komandirskie Submarine (
    blue dial)

"In relations between the rich and the strong, between the rich and the poor, between the master and the servant, it's liberty that grinds down, and the law that liberates" - Henri Lacordaire

Vintage divers are great. Learn as much as you can and look at lots of watches before you buy.
    As an entry daily wear I’d suggest a new Vostok “scuba dude” amphibia. They have a classic vintage style, work and wear great, all stainless steel, automatic.
    Vintage straps are right at home on ‘em too.
    Oh and they’re cheap!
    Sorry for the sideways pics, the antiquated forum software doesn't seem to like iphone

Name:  B4BE022F-BEF5-4B1A-96CD-AA05E69C41FC.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  1.69 MBName:  A2FEAA58-41B9-4121-A732-37FB7202AF1E.jpeg
Views: 473
Size:  1.73 MBName:  AB1BC122-696A-435A-BE03-F616C4B4D2E1.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  1.92 MB
    Last edited by timesofplenty; November 12th, 2017 at 19:15.
    Scott
    I'll be back if/when the forum software is updated.
    Until then:
    contact timesofplenty at ebay

Thread Information